Invisalign for Crooked and Impacted Mesially Wisdom Teeth?

I have an Invisalign consultation in October. My teeth are crooked and overcrowded. My upper wisdom teeth came through last year that are both crooked (the base of the tooth is facing towards my inner cheek). My lower left wisdom tooth has pierced the gum and I can see the top of the tooth. My dentist says it is growing in severely crooked. I looked it up online and found that it's impacted mesially. Is this going to affect my Invisalign treatment? There seems to be no room in my mouth to allow for movement of teeth. Please advise on what might be suggested.

Wisdom Teeth and Invisalign

+1

In cases where wisdom teeth are impacted like yours are, I recommend they come out before starting Invisalign treatment. They are a trap for bacteria and will cause an unhealthy situation in your mouth.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Wisdom teeth should come out

+1

There really isn't any good reason for keeping wisdom teeth in general, and when they are not aligned well, there is even LESS reason to keep them.  If you are going to invest in your smile, the best way to be sure the results are the best possible is to remove the wisdom teeth.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Remove the wisdom teeth before Invisalign treatment

+1

If you are considering Invisalign treatment, have the wisdom teeth removed beforehand. Invisalign cannot effectively move or align wisdom teeth especially if they are impacted. They can only cause you problems during treatment. Also, it is almost impossible to get an accurate impression or mould (for Invisalign fabrication) of the wisdom teeth because they are so far back in the jaw.

If your crowding is excessive, you may not be a good candidate for Invisalign.

Matt T. Walton, DMD
Suwanee Orthodontist