Can Invisalign Correct an Underbite That is Class Three but Has Minimal Edge to Edge Biting?

I have been to an orthodontist who told me I needed surgery I then went to a cosmetic dentist who has quoted £9000 for veneers to build the profile of my teeth to make them appear like a normal bite but I was wondering would invisalign really help my case?

Invisalign for an edge to edge bite.

+2

Your case sounds complex and the widely varying opinions from several doctors underscores this.  In general, if surgery is needed to correct an underbite  then doing just veneers will result in a situation where the front teeth suffer from a traumatic bite.  If non-surgical treatment can create horizontal overlap of the front teeth then perhaps Invisalign or braces without surgery could be used in preparation for veneers or even eliminate the need for them.  In truth, there are so many unknown variables in your case (your facial profile, your actual biting relationships, the appearance of your teeth and smile, the present health of your teeth and jaws, the amount of time and money you wish to spend) that a clear answer in this forum is impossible.  Just be sure to ask each doctor about the other treatment plan to understand how he/she plans to correct your situation.

Seattle Orthodontist

Can underbites be corrected with Invisalign

+2

If the orthodontist told you only surgery and braces could fully correct your underbite, then Invisalign only certainly could not do any better.  It may be possible to correct your bite with Invisalign AND surgery, so if surgery is acceptable you may want to talk with your orthodontist before having veneers placed

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Yes Invisalign can fix underbite.

+1

I always tell my pre surgery patients to give invisalign a try for 5-12 months and see if we like the results. In many cases they opt out of surgery all together because we achieved really nice results. Remember surgery only helps the class lll occlusion,,it doesnt not straighten or improve the looks of your teeth.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

INVISALIGN INSTEAD OF JAW SURGERY?

+1

Sometimes veneers can adequately compensate for differences in jaw size. In other cases the degree of difference is too great for veneers to produce an acceptable outcome. Since your orthodontist suggested that you would need surgical correction it is possible that you fall in to the latter category. (There is sometimes a middle ground in which orthodontic treatment, most likely with braces rather than Invisalgn, is the approach of choice.)

There is seldom one best answer to complex problems of this type. I suggest you revisit both the orthodontist and the restorative dentist and ask additional questions about treatment duration, cost, and prospects for satisfactory long-term outcome with each of the treatment options.

R. William McNeill, DDS, MS
Mercer Island Orthodontist

Invisalign, underbites, and knowing different treatment options and limitations

+1

What treatment option you choose will depend on what your treatment goals, ie. what you want out of your teeth and bite, both from an esthetic and functional standpoint and how much time, energy and money you want to spend on them.

It is hard to make comments on your particular case without seeing your teeth or any diagnostics records, but here are some thoughts. If your anterior bite is edge-to-edge and thus you are in traumatic occlusion, it is generally not recommended to place veneers as the upper and lower veneers will be smashing into one another and are at a risk of fracture. It may be that orthodontics and surgery are needed to fully correct your malocclusion and skeletal discrepancy, and thus that is why the orthodontist recommended that treatment option as the ideal. If you do not want to do braces and surgery, it may also be possible for Invisalign to be a treatment option with limitations, like fixing your edge-to -edge anterior bite and not your posterior bite. I would recommend seeing another orthodontist who can do a full work-up and give you some different treatment options.

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist

Porcelain veneers can make dramatic changes to faces and profiles

+1

If your cosmetic dentist is experienced and says that veneers can work, then you may be able to avoid many months of treatment and painful surgery.  However, be sure you are comfortable with the recomendation.  I am not saying it is impossible, as I have done cases like this myself, but it is not easy.

Invisalign by itself is not a replacement for surgery, so I would think it could only assist in the treatment and not replace other methods.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist