Is It Possible to Use Invisalign or Braces on the "Back" of Teeth to Fix This Problem? (photo)

I would like to know if it would be possible to use either Invisalign or braces on the "back" of my teeth (a.k.a. lingual braces such as iBraces/Incognito) to straighten a few crooked teeth and move a canine tooth into place. I do not want to modify my bite (overbite). As can be seen in the pictures, one of my baby canine teeth never fell and my adult canine tooth grew in behind the baby canine tooth at an angle, somewhat affecting the teeth around it. Thank you for your time!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Invisalign case?

+1

From the photos, it seems your case is beyond the capabilities of invisalign.  You situation really is quite simple - remove the baby tooth and put brackets on for about 6 months.  Your teeth would straighten out fairly quickly.  Brackets would also help give you some arch expansion as your arches are a little narrow.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can't do everything

+1

While I know some people would try, the situation presents a GREAT challenge to the limits of Invisalign.  I personally would not try this with Invisalign, as the time involved usually frustrates both the patient and the well intended dentist.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

This problem CANNOT be fixed with Invisalign nor Lingual Braces

+1

What you have is a cuspid that is erupting way too far lingually. This tooth has one of the largest and strongest root structure of all the teeth in your mouth. It will require standard brackets with wires in order to create the space needed for it to be moved into its proper position. You should consult with an experienced orthodontist.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Incognito lingual braces to fix your canine crossbite

+1

Invisalign still has limitations with regard to the type of case or amount of movement. Incognito can be used more broadly. These are the steps after you find an Incognito trained orthodontist in your area:

• Clinical exam, photo's, panoramic x-ray, lateral ceph x-ray for diagnosis.
  • PVS impressions to capture the anatomy of the teeth. You can still keep your babytooth at this point.
  • Design and manufacturing of the Incognito braces. This takes 6-8 weeks, the Incognito is fully customized to fit only your teeth and the process is labor intensive.
  • Bonding of the incognito braces and placement of the wires.
  • Removal of the retained baby cuspid soon after.
  • Adjusting to the braces - the first two weeks are the hardest, use the gishy goo!

San Ramon Orthodontist