Are Invisalign Braces Less Hassle Than Metal Braces?

How often do you need appointments for metal braces? It is more frequent than getting the new invisalign set? Do I still need an appointment each time I get my new invisalign set?

Frequency of appointments with Invisalign or braces

+1

With either Invislaign or braces appointments are anywhere from 4 to 10 weeks apart, averaging 6 to 8 weeks.  This allows adequate supervision of your progress.  With braces these intervals afford the chance for adjustments to allow optimum progress, and with Invisalign they are necessary to monitor the aligner fit.  You will usually leave the orthodontist with two to four aligners, so you definitely do not have to come in for each new aligner.  Some patients report that they find aligners to be hassle free, others dislike having to take them out and put them back in frequently.  One thing for sure: if you go with Invisalign be sure you are disciplined about wearing the aligners.  Leaving them out for several hours can compromise your treatment.

Seattle Orthodontist

Is Invisalign easier than metal braces?

+1

Invisalign, metal braces, and clear braces are all different types of appliances that move teeth.

All types of orthodontic appliances have their pluses and minuses.  Invisalign looks good, but must be removed for eating and may not be effective for all types of orthodontic treatment.  Metal braces are the most flexible and work in almost all types of orthodontic treatment, but of course they are very visible.  Clear fixed braces, such as SimpliClear, look good and are useful for most types of orthodontic treatment.

You should consult with an orthodontist to determine what type of orthodontic appliances are best for you.

Thomas Braun, DMD
Fairfield Orthodontist

Invisalign can be "less hassle" than traditional braces

+1

I totally agree with Dr. Tam.  One of the huge benefits of Invisalign treatment is that there are many less "emergency" appointments needed than with traditional braces.  In my opinion it often takes longer to align the teeth utilizing Invisalign rather than braces, but the added benefits of less emergency visits, ease of cleaning and comfort often make it worth it to the patient.  Just make sure that you are a candidate for Invisalign treatment, because there are some things that only braces can address.

Andrew Orchin, DDS
Washington DC Cosmetic Dentist

Both require some lifestyle changes... different for each person

+1

The "hassle" will depend on your usual patterns.  With aligners, you will have to remove them for eating/drinking and clean up before replacing them.  With braces, cleaning is advised after each meal also, but it is less stringent.

With aligners, your teeth will be easier to clean, and there will be less discomfort to the inside of your mouth.

Generally, you are given a few sets of aligners at time, and will visit the doctor every 4-10 weeks, depending on the office.  One definite advantage with aligners is that there are far fewer unscheduled "emergency" visits.

Jason K. Tam, DDS
Toronto Orthodontist