Can Invisalign Correct my Teeth or Do I Need Braces?

I went and saw a dentist to see if Invisalign is suitable for me. When I was a teen, I had braces to correct an overbite. I am almost certain that my bite has not changed since then but my front four top teeth are crooked.

This dentist I saw told me that I would need conventional braces again for up to two years. I was a bit shocked because my teeth don’t look that bad and I thought they would only need Invisalign. Should I get a second opinion?

Second opinion is needed!

+2

Sounds like your Ortho guy doesn't trust Invisalign very much. It works great for intruding teeth and crooked teeth in the front. You need to find a DDS that has done a lot of Invisalign, not just an orthodontist. Some of them are old school and want you to wear the ugly brackets.

Tell him..Not for me SISTER..! lol Dr. Thomas

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Crowding is only one variable in a comprehensive orthodontic evaluation

+2

Crowding is only one variable in a comprehensive orthodontic evaluation. Considering the fact that teeth are continuously moving throughout one's lifetime and unless a consistent retention schedule was followed (are retainers still being worn...do they still fit?) after the original braces were removed, it is possible that some significant changes may have occurred. Crowding is the most obvious noticeable change that patients can directly see. Problems such as crossbites, rotations of back teeth, jaw asymmetries, bite interferences, opening and closing deviations, and other jaw discrepencies are not so obvious, but can be significant issues requiring more extensive treatment. One can have perfectly straight teeth and still have a severe orthodontic problem.

The point of all this is that each patient should be presented with all the facts so that they can make an informed decision. Treatment options can then be presented once the patient is aware of the facts of their specific problems and can then select an appropriate option (after hearing the pros and cons to each option) that is best for them.

My advice is to see an orthodontic specialist and get a comprehensive evaluation. Select the best option for you (whatever you think it is). You can always elect to proceed with Invisalign to straighten your front teeth as long as you are aware of any limitations (if there are any) that may result from the option you choose.

Matt T. Walton, DMD
Suwanee Orthodontist

A 2nd opinion may be a good idea

+2

If there isn't excessive crowding, rotation or intrusion then Invisalign usually works well in cases that have been previously treated by "braces". Maybe you should seek the opinion of another Invisalign dentist in your neighborhood. You can find one by going to invisalign.com. Good luck.

Daniel W. Schiavone, DDS
Rochester Cosmetic Dentist