Invisalign Vs Braces for Correcting Lower Incisors and Canines.

My lower incisors and canines are positioned significantly higher than the rest of my lower teeth (2 - 3 mm), contributing to an excessive overlap of my front teeth and I would like to see them moved down. What would be the best way to address this, Invisalign or braces?

Invisalign will work fine for pushing teeth down...

+1

Invisalign will work for this type of tooth movement. They have new root torque built into the aligners now so it sounds like a good case for Invisalign. Its really the kindest and easiest way to push those teeth down,plus everytime you swallow and your teeth come together it will put pressure on the aligners and aide the tooth movement.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

The best appliance is going to depend on your doctor

+1

Many doctors discuss the "limitations" of a particular appliance, but unfortunately, in the case of Invisalign, it often has to do with the inability of the particular doctor to use the appliance to perform certain corrections.  Absolutely there are procedures and situations that work better with fixed orthodontics than with a removable appliance, but this is not one of them.

Correction of a curve of spee, and the need to intrude the anterior segment in the lower arch is 100% something that can be done with Invisalign by a skilled doctor.  At the same time, with proper mechanics, it can be done with fixed braces.  If you find a doctor who can do both, then it is up to you to decide which treatment modality better fits you.

The key to remember is that Invisalign is a technique, not a product.  The doctor is the one who directs the treatment and depending on their own experience, will give you varying information.

Toronto Orthodontist

Treating a deep bite with Invisalign or Braces?

+1

You describe (quite well)  a deep  bite as a result of over eruption of the lower front teeth. While Invisalign is an excellent choice for many situations, traditional orthodontics with wires and brackets would be the best option for your situation. Best of luck to you.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Braces have limitations

+1

When lower incisors and canines are higher than the rest of the dentition (increase curve of spee) the result is usually a deep bite. If the upper incisors are shearing the lower incisors then putting baces might not be practical until the bite is "opened." This might slow down treatment. If the patient is a tremendous tooth grinder and clencher, fixed orthodontic treatment  will be very slow to complete as well. If any of these factors come into play, I would prefer Invisalign over fixed braces. I would recommend consulting an orthodontist who has the training and experience in handling more difficult orthodontic problems.

Springfield Orthodontist

Invisalign has many limitations

+1
While some may feel Invisalign can do anything traditional braces can do, the challenges to do so are high. Wires and brackets will be easier and faster.

Web reference: Http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.