Invisalign Bonding Agent Covering Whole Tooth, Is This Ok?

I just got my Invisalign yesterday. I have some gumline recession on a few of my teeth, and attachments were required on some of those teeth. The dental assistant put the clear bonding agent on two teeth, coating them up to the gumline. They are now hardened shells covering both teeth entirely. Will this do any damage to the teeth if left on for the entire Invisalign treatment (9-10 months)? Also, how will they get it off? I'm afraid drilling/sanding it off will hurt since it is so sensitive!

Invisalign

+2

Yes, it would be a good idea to remove that excess bonding. It could be a real plaque trap. Maybe a little nitrous oxide while they are removing it would be a good idea. I too have sensitive teeth.

Dr. Sue Wendling

Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign attachments

+1

The excess material from the placement of attachments should not impinge upon the gums or root surface of the tooth.  In addition to patient discomfort, Improperly placed attachments can lead to Aligners that dont fit well and a compromised end result. The good news is that this problem can be easily solved by polishing away any excess material around the attachment.  You should have your dentist inspect each attachment and aligners for proper fit. A local anesthetic can be used if any excess material needs to be removed so you will feel no discomfort.  Wish you all the best with your Invisalign treatment.

Giri Palaniswamy, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist