Do the Invisalign Attachments Stay on for the Entire Treatment?

I got 18 on the first appointment which I'm rather unhappy about as I thought my teeth seemed pretty good in the first place and am a little confused as to why I have so many. Most people seem to have between 4-9. Furthermore, I have them on my front 2 teeth so they're pretty visible when I smile. I have a total of 19 trays (9.5 months) and am hoping I don't have to wear these attachments the entire time because I'm starting college in the fall...

Invisalign attachments

+1

Yes, they do.   Should you finish one arch before the other; the attachments can be removed on the completed arch.

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Attachments for Invisalign usually stay on for the duration

+1

Attachments for Invisalign usually stay on for the duration of treatment.  However, sometimes they can be added part way into treatment or taken off before the end of treatment.  Attachments are used more than they used to be a few years back allowing better control of the teeth and therefore resulting in a more predictable and better result.  Having them on the front teeth (if upper) usually means they require special needs such as moving the roots back more (called torque) or closing an open bite.  None the less, I appreciate your disappointment in having so many attachments, but would recommend talking with your Invisalign provider, then following the recommendation to get your best result.  Good luck!

Denver Orthodontist

Invisalign buttons or attachments normally stay on for duration of care

+1

Normally, they stay on during the entire treatment.  It is possible that they can be taken off early, but it is best to design this into the case at the beginning.  If not, the aligners at the end of treatment may be designed to USE the buttons, and without them the movement may be unpredictable.

While you certainly can tell they are there, it is possible that others won't or can't notice.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Attachments usually stay on during the entire treatment.

+1

Hi Becca,

Usually attachments stay on the entire treatment,  but not always. 

You should ask the treating dentist about your particular treatment sequence.

Best!

Dr. Alper

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Attachments on all the time?

+1

Sure sounds like a lot of attachments!...you must have a lot of rotations, short teeth or an open bite tendency.  Usually, the attachments stay on throughout treatment, you can ask your doctor if this is what is programmed in your case.  Sometimes we can do without an attachment even if it is programmed but it may limit the effectiveness of treatment.

Saint Louis Orthodontist