Ask a doctor

I Have Invisalign and It is Being Used to Correct an Overbite, But Will It Work? (photo)

I have been researching online and have read that you can not correct an overbite using elastics once the upper jaw is formed. I am 22 years old so I assume mine is. I have invisalign and I am really happy with the results, so I am wondering how is my bite going to be fixed- I have had elastics for 2 months so far. In order to fix my overbite, are my bottom teeth going to be moved farther out so they align with my upper teeth? I have read that only functional orthodontics treat this issue.

Doctor Answers (3)

Communication w provider

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dr Hricko said it very nicely. You need to speak to your doc. I have fixed bite with your same classification/bite. It is absolutely POSSIBLE.


iT IS A TRICKY CASE AND THERE ARE MANY FACTOR TO BE LOOKED AT TO know if your Over Jet with end ideally or not

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Invisalign to correct overjet

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I would recommend that you speak with your current invisalign doctor about your invisalign treatment, and the expectations of your treatment as well as how they have set up your case (this will ultimately determine how you will improve your over jet- front top teeth in relation to lower botton teeth)

 It seems that you are reading a lot on the internet and you need clarification from a professional and it is a little too extensive to write about here. In a short summary, the elastics are going to help move the upper teeth back and the lower teeth forward, but there is a limit to how much movement can be achieved with only elastics. In your case your teeth will be aligned but you will probably remain with some overjet. I hope your doctor is an orthodontist!

Gabriela Hricko, DDS
New York Orthodontist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.