Why Can't I Get Invisalign After Teeth Extraction?

My teeth are pretty straight but I have a minor protrusion that has been bothering me. I visited an orthodontist and she told me I would have to get 4 teeth extracted to make room. I am a 22 year old woman who do not want to wear metal braces for the next two years. The orthodontist told me I cannot get invisalign if I were to get my teeth extracted. But why not? I saw pictures of people with worse conditions than me but they are able to use invisalign. Please advise!

Invisalign after tooth extraction

+1

Your Dr has determined that extractions and braces are needed. There are many reasons for this and your treatment is best done this way. What other people have had done does not make it right for you. you are not a car you are a person and unique. Aliners can not close posterior spaces and brace ar needed to contrl all the teeth and bite relationship.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Extractions have been a debate for decades.

+1

Orthodontists are trained to help you achieve the best result possible.  Extractions are done when the patient has sigificant crowding.  If it was done without extracting teeth, it could compromise the support of the teeth and can lead to an un-esthetic appearance in both the smile and the facial appearance.  Before an orthodonist will refer a patient for extractions of teeth, they will very carefully evaluate your case from a functional and esthetic standpoint.

Like some of dentists who have responded, no orthodontist is a "fan" of extractions.  We all avoid it whenever possible.  It DOES NOT make treatment easier.  When done properly and it the right cases, it DOES NOT lead to TMJ problems, sleep apnea, or breathing issues as claimed by someone else.

When done in the right cases by an experineced and properly educated orthodontic specialist, it DOES lead to a better, more healthy result.  As someone else suggested, if you were not comfortable with the presentation by your doctor, seek an opinion by another orthodontist.

Atlanta Orthodontist

Invisalign is not ideal for extraction based treatment plans

+1

If the best option for you is to extract the premolars (and I do recommend a second opinion on that) then full braces are the best way to complete the treatment due to the kind of movements necessary to close the spaces being very difficult to achieve with aligners. 

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign after extractions

+1

I am not a fan of extracting perfectly good teeth, I would seek a second opinion so you can see what your options are before deciding.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Extraction of teeth

+1

I am concerned about some of the answers I have read for this question.  Extraction of teeth should never be done without careful thought, but, in the right cases this is the correct treatment.  The idea that orthodontists take out teeth because it is easier is just a lie...any orthodontist will tell you that treating an extraction case is more difficult than a nonextraction case.  This is the reason why Invisalign is not a good option for people who have had premolars extracted....it is just too difficult to control the movement of the teeth on either side of the extraction site.

Certainly you should get second opinions...but not from doctors who have a "philosophy" of nonextraction treatment...anybody can treat without extractions...the proper question is: "what is the proper treatment for the particular problem?)

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Invisalign After Extractions

+1

While extracting 4 bicuspids makes the orthodontic treatment "easier" for the orthodontist (and you), in the long run it could be detrimental to your health. You will wind up with a narrower dental arch which could possibly result in TMJ problems as well as breathing problems such as sleep apnea and/or snoring. Please seek a few opinions and discuss these issues with the orthodontist.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Second opinions are good

+1

If a treatment presentation doesn't make sense to you, another opinion is a good idea.  While you may feel that THIS is a second opinion, without seeing you face to face we cannot tell for sure what would be best for you.

I am not a big fan of extractions for ortho, so I would suggest seeing a few orthodontists.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist