Can Invisalign Be Used After Braces?

I have already had the full metal wrap around bracket braces on my teeth to correct an overbite and space but I failed to wear my retainer after the braces came off. Due to that mistake I have several spaces between my straight teeth. I no longer have the overbite but I would like to close the gaps. It has been seven years now and I don't know what the right course of action should be. So, I would like to know if Invisalign would be the best way to correct my teeth or would I be able to get another retainer? Thank You,

Invisalign works great for correcting a problem like post-braces relapse or spacing

+3

The problem you have described -- straight teeth, no bite problem, with minor spacing -- is exactly what Invisalign is best at.    I would probably choose Invisalign as the treatment of choice for a situation like yours.  Of course, your orthodontist will take records and explain whether Invisalign will work for your particular problem.

Seattle Orthodontist

Invisalign is great for many Orthodontic corrections

+2

Although an evaluation by an orthodontist is needed, almost all relapses where a person has not properly worn retainers can be fixed by Invisalign treatment.  This is partly because if the original orthodontic treatment was a good result, then the back teeth usually are still stable and in a good position even without retainer ware and the crowding that comes to the front teeth can be effectively straightened by Invisalign.  Who really wants to go back into braces anyway!

Denver Orthodontist

Invisalign is a perfect solution to your problem....

+2

Invisalign is a perfect solution to your problem. Closing spaces is the easiest application for Invisalign in most cases. Many of our patients are those who previously underwent conventional orthodontics and have a relapse due to not wearing a retainer.

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign after Braces

+2

Yes, Invisalign can be used after traditional braces if you are the proper candidate. For extrusion movements or to close an anterior open bite it is less predictable than being used for more simple movements.

Make sure to consult with your certified dentist. Usually for a relapse case it is effective, but every case differs.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Good chance Invisalign can help after traditional braces!

+2

Many of my Invisalign patients are former traditional braces patients. Invisalign is great for correcting spaces in the teeth or relapses caused from not wearing a retainer.

Each patient is different.. "Before treatment" analysis of your teeth should be made to determine if in fact you are a good candidate for Invisalign. Chances are Invisalign will work for you!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign after braces

+1

Short answer: yes

Long answer: Invisalign original target patient group were relaps cases. They tend to be less complicated and since likely were already straight easier to move back to there straight location.

I have used Invisalign to set up severe cases for surgery, placed braces for a month per-surgery and will stabilizing then removed and finished again in Invisalign with a few small picky things.

Overall it is a wonder adjunct before or after or with Invisalign.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Invisalign or retainer for tooth spacing

+1

If you were my patient I would want you to come back and see me right away.  Orthodontics is for the long term and we orthodontists really do want to try to make sure that our patients do well after treatment.  I also have patients who don't wear their retainers and when they come back to me we try to figure out the best, least expensive, and most practical method to recover the situation.  Invisalign might work just fine but it is a pretty expensive process with the lab costs and everything involved.  I would definitely try (if possible) to see what could be done using a simple active retainer (Hawley type) or possibly a very short series of non Invisalign clear aligners like Red, White, and Blue or other non proprietary designs.  Occasionally, simple placement of very small bonded restorations on the sides of the teeth that close the space by making the teeth very slightly larger can be helpful and the result is almost instant.  There are a lot of options but I would go and talk to your original orthodontist first.  He will probably have all of your records and will know exactly what the problems were even before you started the whole process.  Remember next time, DO be sure to wear those retainers as advised.  Stability and maintaining good orthodontic results is not automatic, it takes a bit of attention on your part.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Invisalign is ONE way to treat post-braces relapse

+1

You are describing the perfect scenario to use Invisalign; however, in consultation with your doctor there are other less expensive options that work equally well.

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can be used as a follow-up to braces.

+1

Yes, Invisalign is the most common method of correcting post-orthodontic relapse - whether spacing or crowding. If only very minor movement is required a flexible, adustable retainer might just do the job. Check with your orthodontist to learn what option is best for you.

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Invisalign is great choice for relapse

+1

Relapse cases are often the perfect case for Invisalign. When there are spaces to close and perhpas mild alignment, the treatment should proceed rapidly and may be less expensive then a case that had not been previously treated. It is likely a great way to go!

Atlanta Orthodontist