Is my Inverted Nipple a Sign of Cancer?

hi i am 21 years old and my right nipple is inverted. i havent always had it and i am not sure how long i have had it maybe a year at the most? i really dont know. as this is sometimes a sign of cancer for women im concerned i just made an appointment to see my doctor but what if not cancer, what would cause this?? im wondering if weight loss anxiety and stress can maybe target this at all? thank in advance-really worried!

Nipple changes

+1

You need to get examined by a breast surgeon in order to evaluate the change in your nipple.  You may need imaging as well depending on the treating surgeon or physician, such as an ultrasound.

Everett Plastic Surgeon

Inverted Nipple

+1

Whenever you notice any sudden change in your body without cause you should seek medical advice.  Contact your physician for an evaluation as soon as possible.

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Is my Inverted Nipple a Sign of Cancer?

+1

Seek in person evaluation with a breast surgeon to address this. If you had no inversion until a few months ago than seek soon. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Significance of Inverted Nipples

+1
The nipples represent the coalescence of breast ducts. Any inflammatory process affecting the breast ducts, including cancer, can cause shortening of the ducts and nipple inversion. A MRI should be obtained if nipple shortening is associated with bloody nipple discharge, breast skin dimpling or Orange skin like consistency or change in the texture of the areola. If you have any doubts, see a Surgical Oncologit. Dr. Peter Aldea

Inverted nipple and cancer

+1

At your age cancer is very unlikely but a full assessment by an experienced breast surgeon is approporiate.  Bloody or dark drainage is a sign you need to watch for.  Any surgery for an inverted nipple in a young patient is difficult because the most effective procedures are likely to make nursing difficult or impossible.  Once Cancer is ruled out best to live with it until you are finished having children.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Inverted nipple and potential for sign of cancer

+1

A longstanding inverted nipple is highly unlikely to be indicative of cancer. However, if your nipple should suddenly change and/or become associated with a mass and/or produce bloody or dark drainage and/or become flaky and develop a chronic eczema like reaction, I would present to a general surgeon and first consider diagnostic imaging and/or biopsy and/or cytology.