Is It Possible to Do an Inverted Lip Lift?

By inverted lip lift, I mean the incisions would be on the inside of the lip, just below the anterior nasal spine. What I'd like to avoid is scarring and, more importantly, the outward rotation the lip takes after a conventional lip lift.

Lip Lift Surgery - Los Angeles

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

As mentioned by my colleague, you cannot attain shortening of the outer upper lip by excising mucosa from the upper lip sulcus.  An upper lip lift, when performed by an experienced surgeon on a carefully selected patient, can produce remarkable results.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

"internal" lip lift

+1

There is a procedure that was done in the past, called a Y-V plasty, done inside the lip to ehance the upward  turn and bulk oofn the lip. This has never become very popular and had some problems with it. I would not recommend it. Although, external scar is an issue with a vermillion advancement upper lip lift, if done by an expert, this can be minimized and this is the only procedure that will lift AND decrease the distance between the vermillion and the nose, which is a desirable youthfull characteristic of the upper lip.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lip lift

+1

Upper lip will not shorten by removing mucosa from inside the sulcus of the lip.

Avoid lip shortening scars if you can.