Is Invasive Dermabrasion Still Considered Effective?

I understand all known techniques to treat acne scars: subcision, excision, fillers, lasers(CO2, fraxel) CROSS etc. My question is that if Dermabrasion still considered an effective method to treat severe acne scars, especially when used with ReCell, where I am from I do not have many options. So, is dermabrasion in the hands of a good surgeon used with ReCell, a good option, especially for someone with East Indian skin?

Dermabrasion

+1

Dermabrasion remains one of the best treatments available for facial scars: burns, traumatic, acne.

In tan and dark pigmented skin, sometimes it is beneficial to do a test patch of dermabrasion in an inconspicuous spot to evaluate post procedural pigmentation changes, if any.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion still effective for acne scars

+1

Dermabrasion is still an excellent technique for acne scars.  However, care must be taken in dark-skinned individuals.  The depth of the dermabrasion will be less than optimal.  Another option would be to perform a mini facelift to attempt to stretch them. Fractionated laser will help the acne scars in dark-skinned individuals.

Is Dermabrasion still considered effective?

+1

Thanks very much for your question.  You are correct that there are a number of available treatments to treat scars left behind from acne.  All of the various modalities that you have mentioned can have a very useful role.  Dermabrasion is still a very useful method as well.  In someone like yourself with more darkly complected skin you need to be mindful that any resurfacing technique may cause pigmentation changes in the skin.  You need to have a thoughtful conversation with your surgeon about this and make sure that you have reasonable expectation of results and possible complications from the various procedures.  But yes, dermabrasion is still very effective in the right hands.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon