Is It Possible to Use an Intraoral Incision to Secure an Implant over the Zygomatic Arch or is a Pre-auricular Incision Needed?

My face is very narrow so I need to have cheek implants right on the zygomatic arch to increase its width. In virtually all of the cases in which cheek implants are used they are positioned closer to the front of the face so the incision used is inside the mouth. I would like to know if an intraoral approach would make it possible to position and screw the implant to the bone when placed on the zygomatic arch or an incision on the outside will be needed.

+1

This is pretty standard implant placement via a transoral (behind the upper lip) approach. You should not require an approach from behind the hairline or in front of the ear. If that is what you are being told, you should consider seeking a second opinion from a Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Zygomatic arch implat

+1

This type of implant is placed through an intraoral incision. Preauricular incsions are not used and are in fact dangerous to do with high risk of facial nerve injury.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Incision for Placement of Cheek Implant

+1

In 35 years I've never used a pre-auricular incision to place a cheek implant.  The ints-oral approach provides better access, avoiding a skin incision.