Is Intra-abdominal Fat an Issue in Tummy Tucks?

I am only 2 weeks post-op, my PS told me that my stomach will go down as I still have a lot of swelling but he said in my midsection-neareast my navel, I have lots of intra-abdominal fat and I will need to loose more weight to get that area flatter? Is this true? Note: I am a lapband patient.

Intraabdominal fat

+2

This comment its a little too late for you, when consulting an abdominoplasty patient the first thing I try to determine is if the patient its at his/her desire weight. If loosing more weight is in the horizon, then I delayed the surgery, if the patient does not want or can not loose more weight, then I explain the limitations of the procedure. Abdominoplasty will not address the intraabdominal fat, as a consequence the result will not be ideal.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks and intra-abdomenal fat

+1

Yes, this type of fat can make it harder to tighten the muscle at the time of surgery. But on the positive, sometimes a tummy tuck gets rid of the overhanging fat and skin, thus making it easier to workout and wear tighter, more flattering clothing. If you lose more weight, generally the look is still great. Don't sweat it! enjoy the new result and expect better results in the future.

Sometimes waiting can be torture!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Intraabdominal fat and tummy tucks

+1

A tummy tuck will not have as good a result as desired if you have not lost the fat inside your abdominal cavity before surgery.  You just can't get it tight and flat.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS