Proper Interval Between Cosmetic Surgeries Under General Anesthesia?

The doctor I would like to use for my body procedure (Liposuction) and the facial plastic surgeon (Facelift) are different. How long should I separate the two procedures?

Delay between cosmetic surgeries

+3

If we need to go back to surgery, we go back the night of. If we choose to go back, then you have as much or as little time as you'd like. I think you should do your liposuction first, recover somewhat from that and as you see things are going well then schedule your facelift.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Liposuction and facelift can be done 3 weeks apart.

+2

Hi.

I recommend doing the liposuction first, so that the anesthesiologist for your second procedure doesn't have to touch a recently operated face.  Three weeks later, you can have a facelift.  Probably a good idea to do them separately anyway.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction and facelift timing

+2

Having combined procedures, especially a long procedure including liposuction does increase your chance of blood clots. Assessing that risk depends on many factors such as health, age and complexity of the procedures, as well as skill of the surgeon to complete the operation expediently.
Also aftercare should be considered so the patient can be formally monitored for safety.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Time interval between surgeries

+1

The risk of DVT (deep vein thrombosis) is higher when 2 procedures are performed within 1 month of each other. You should also be fully recovered from one procedure before proceding with the next one.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Interval Time between Cosmetic Surgeries

+1

This would best be answered by the plastic surgeon doing the second procedure. In my practice I would recommend waiting a minimum of a few weeks following the liposuction procedure if you need to do it for some reason as soon as possible. If not waiting 6 weeks would give you lots of time to recover from the first procedure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Interval between general anesthesia cases

+1

There are several factors in this decision including your general overall health and if you have any medical conditions. It can be done the same day for some patients and for others is best to wait weeks to over a month.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Proper Interval Between Cosmetic Surgeries

+1

Two or three weeks between procedures would be adequate. Ask the two surgeons for their recommendation. I would do both the liposuction and facelift at the same time. Your surgeons could each do their respctive procedures the same day so you can avoid two separate anesthetics.  

Facial Surgery and Body Contouring Surgery

+1

Facial cosmetic surgery and body contouring surgery can be done at the same. The general rule is that you don't want the surgery lasting more then about 8 hours. If proper precautions are take there shouldn't be a problem.

If you mean the two doctors don't operate at the same facility then I would recommend waiting 6 weeks after the liposuction to do the facial surgery.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon