International Flight for Brazilian Butt Lift? (photo)

What is the optimal recovery time required a fat transfer - Brazilian Butt Lift? I live overseas and am weary of sitting on a 14 hour flight home post procedure. Should I expect my stay in America to be 2 weeks - 1 month or more? I've made up my mind to have this procedure within the year and would like a few consultations and find a doctor I'm comfortable with. Any information at this point in this long journey would be appreciated! Thanks! cel

Brazilian Butt Lift recovery

+2

For starters and based upon your very well taken photos, you do not have near enough body fat to harvest (with liposuction) and then transfer into your buttocks to make a significant difference in the end result.     

Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection. Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you gain weight for the procedure, the fat that you lose first when you go back down to your baseline weight after surgery is in fact that fat that you originally gained and transferred into your buttocks...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.  Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This can also happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and subsequent scar tissue/hardening.

Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a single 2 ½ inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Glad to help… @drryanstanton

Brazilian Butt Lift and Augmentation with travel

+1

I see many patients from out of town for buttock augmentation and most of them stay in town for about two weeks. All patients start to sit on thier buttocks for short periods of time after one week, and are able to sit for longer times after 2 weeks. I believe that you will be fine if you stay in the US for about 2-3 weeks after your buttock augmentation surgery.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

International Flight for Brazilian Butt Lift?

+1

2 weeks is usually sufficient, but this does vary based upon healing.  You are choosing a very specific procedure not performed by many surgeons.  It is important to be close to your surgeon in the postoperative period.  In addition, on the flight back you should get up frequently during the flight to prevent further pressure compromise to the fat.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA