Internal Swelling in Nose Surgery, Should I be Concerned? (photo)

Attached is the photos of the internal swelling after my surgery. There was alot wrong with my nose structurally and the doctor did quite a bit of work fixing it. I am 6 weeks post op and as you can see on the one side the internal swelling on the inside by the columella. I was told that this swelling will go down at around 4 weeks post op. It has improved but the swelling is gone. Should I be concerned? Will this swelling go down? if so, what are reasonable time lines?

Internal Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

It looks as if the lower part of the 'tip' cartilage on the right side is flared out. If this is the case the prominence will persist even after all swelling is gone. Your surgeon should be able to distinguish this and also give you a reason as to why it is happening. If this is all that is going on it should be readily correctable with a small procedure when you're a little further out from surgery. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Medial crus flare

+1

As stated by others, the cause is more anatomical but may be accentuated by swelling.  It is best to wait for healing to complete before deciding on a revision

Sam Naficy, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling from rhinoplasty takes up to a year to improve.  Be patient. The bump you have in the right nostril may be the medial crura being pushed over by the septum.

Internal Swelling 6 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+1

The swelling adjacent to your columella 6 weeks after your rhinolasty is not normal and it is unlikely this will resolve in the future. It might be a deviation of the medial crus of the tip cartilage, deviation of the septum, or a cartilage graft which was placed in the columella. see your surgeon and discuss this with him.

Internal swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

The bump in the columella in the one side is not swelling, but a protrusion of the medial crus, one the cartilages which form the nasal tip and columella. The tisssue could also be pushed up be a displaced cartilage graft in the columella, though it is not swelling. Something is out of place.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Swelling 6 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

The appearance of the nose is likely to change as the swelling (which can last one year and beyond) subsides.  There appears to be prominence of the "medial crus" of the right lower lateral cartilage which may just be related to inflammation, but may also be due to malposition; this may resolve, but it may not.  Stay in close contact with your Surgeon for observation, reassurance , and solutions.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon