Will I Need More Than One or Two Microdermabrasion Treatments at 70?

i am interested in microdermabrasion...will i need more than one or two treatments? My skin has pimples and it is wrinkly (70). i am at the age of 70 where i could really benefit from looking a lot older than i do. basically my skin is good toned but i have the usual sagging laugh lines and the lines around the cheeks and neck. Will i need a lot of treatments? can i set up a financial payment plan?

What microderm can do

+1

Microderm is a form of manual exfolitation for the outer most layer of the skin (the stratum corneum). It's a great way to brighten your skin which has advantages like giving your makeup a refreshed appearance and combating a "ruddy" textured appearance. Because microdermabrasion only works on the very superficial layer, it will not give you the dramatic changes it sounds like you desire. Because skin cells rejuvenate themselves and therefore push themselves to the surface about every 45-60 days for someone around age 70, microdermabrasion would also need to be repeated every 2 months in order to refresh your skin's surface appearance.

It would be recommended that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who offers many different procedures including laser treatments to facial surgery. This way, you can have your questions answered and be given options on how to achieve your desired results. Best wishes!

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

What Microdermabrasion Can Do

+1

Microdermabrasion is a great way to remove the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin.  As the skin ages, dead skin cells will continually accumulate on the skin and can be removed by more microdermabrasion.  The skin is left smoother with almost zero down-time.

Microdermabrasion is not a good option for someone looking to smooth out wrinkles or scars on the face.  For that, I would recommend a resurfacing laser such as Fraxel.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Microdermabrasion

+1

It is important to understand Microdermabrasion is an exfoliative maintenance procedure, not a therapeutic restorative procedure.  It will not remove wrinkles, brown spots, lines, or significantly tighten your skin.  Based on the description of your skin, I would suggest fractionated CO2 laser treatment(s).  This can be done as a series of lower power treatments or as a single, more aggressive treatment.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon