I Am Interested in Implants Do I Need a Lift As Well? I Dont Want the Scars. (photo)

I am a 36 yr old female with 3 children and I cant have anymore children I would like to have a breast augmentation but I dont think I want the scar's from a lift. Can anyone tell me what kind of lift I would need? I would be ok with small hidden scar's but not the lollipop or the anchor scar's

Ask Your Surgeon About For Stable Tear-Drop Shaped Implants

+2
Thank you for posting the photos.

In Canada, I have been using form stable tear-drop shaped implants (Allergan Style 410) in order to get lift from the implants alone. I have had success using implants alone in patients that have mild to moderate ptosis. These implants have more projection than round implants, and the maximal projection is lower down on the implant, which I believe helps rotate the ptotic breast upwards (similar to pushing a kid on a swing). Many of my patients like yourself opt for the implants alone with the understanding that if the droopiness still persists and they are unhappy about it, they can have the breast lift done at a second procedure. I can tell you, for properly selected patients, 95% never want that secondary breast lift.

After examining your photos, I think that breast augmentation with form stable implants may be possible. If not, you would most likely benefit from a peri-areolar (around nipple) or lollipop lift (although a consultation would be more accurate in confirming which type of lift is most suitable). A breast lift would help you achieve a firmer, perkier breast contour. The procedure can be performed at the same time as your breast augmentation, allowing you to address two concerns simultaneously.

You may want to speak to a Plastic Surgeon more about these options and express your concerns about scarring, before ruling out a breast lift. They may be able to adjust their surgical technique to achieve a result that's pleasing for you. Please keep in mind that when proper care is taken with scars, they tend to heal very well, until they're barely noticeable! Be vigilante and take care of your scars by doing such things as  keeping them clean while they heal and protecting them from sun exposure.

Breast lift for shape, implants for volume

+2

Implants alone in your case would leave your breasts sagging, only heavier and you may be disappointed with the shape.  Only a lift will provide a perky shape.  I recommend a vertical lollipop incision that will fade if you are willing to work through the scar management process over one to two years.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

?lift and what type

+2

From the photos you provided, it seem to me that you would benefit from a lift. The type of lift is a vertical one. But, this answer is no replacement for proper examination and consultation.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Don't want breast lift scars.

+2

Your photos show quite a loss of breast volume and projection, however the nipple is at the breast fold. It is very reasonable to have an augmentation without a lift and you might be very pleased with the implants alone. If the scar is not going to be acceptable try without.

Implants +/- Lift

+2

When I initially looked at your frontal photos, I felt you definitely would need a lift, because it appeared that you had a lot of sagging (ptosis).  But your side view shows that, though you do have ptosis, it is not at severe as it appeared.  Your breasts initially look worse than they are because of a significant loss of volume in the upper pole.  So, I think you may very well be a candidate for augmentation alone. 

If it works out you will have saved yourself a lot of scarring.  If it is not all you had hoped for, a lift can be done later.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Interested in Implants...Do I Need a Lift As Well? (photo) ANS:

+2

Yes you will need some sort of lift...Sorry...But implants alone will not correct your droop, just make you bigger with a droop! Now you may be able to do more of a limited lift along the lines of a Donut lift or a Lollipop lift but that will really depend on actual exam and the experience of your surgeon. From your side picture those more limited procedures may be possible...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Aumgmentation alone when I might need a lift

+2

Thanks for your question.  If you were my patient I would reccommend a lift looking at your pictures. A lollipop vertical would be my preference, but if you pick a modest implant, you could have only a peri-areolar lift around the areola with less scarring but less improvement in shape and position as well.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a more thorough explantation.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Breast augmentation with a breast lift.

+2

I can understand your desire to avoid scars unless they are necessary.  No one is eager for the scars.

Based on your photographs I think you are definitely a candidate for a lift.  Most likely a lollipop lift, but it is not possible to determine for sure without an exam.

Additionally it is necessary to understand what your overall goals are with the operation.  If you just want more fullness of your breasts when in clothing then you could have a breast augmentation without a lift and the bra will help hold the breast tissue where it needs to be.

On the other hand, if you want the best possible appearance of your breasts when not wearing clothing then you most likely will need a lift.

Make sure your surgeon is very comfortable performing both of these procedures together and has a lot of experience.  Many surgeons will not perform both operations at the same time.  Experience is critical as there is a fairly high revision rate reported in the literature when combining the two surgeries.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a lift?

+2

In reviewing your photographs it appears that you have a grade II ptosis.  I think that you would do best to have both a breast augmentation and a mastopexy.  A crescent-type lift is not probably going to provide enough of a lift for you and you would do best to have a lollipop or anchor type lift if you are willing to accept the scar.

Michael Sundine, MD

Will Breast Implants Alone Be Enough?

+2

You are in the unfortunate position with your degree of breast sagging that the acceptance of the scars from a lift may be inevitable. An implant alone will likely make your breasts look worse and certainly will not make you happy in my opinion. They will fill out the upper pole of the breast and push down the sagging breast tissue with nipples on the bottom part of the implant. In short, your degree of breast sagging will be accentuated. You can always try breast implants first and see whether this prediction is accurate or not. But only get implants first if you are prepared that should the result be proven to be unsatisfactory you are willing to accept the scarring from a vertical lift. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD