Interested in Breast Implants but still have 20 pounds to lose...do I need to wait until I have lost all my weight?

Hello I am on a journey of self-improvement and over the past 12 months have lost 40 pounds through a combination of healthy diet and exercise.  I still have approximately 20 pounds to go....I have been thinking about breast implants ~ Do you advise I wait until all my weight is off or can this process be started while I am still losing weight?  I am 5" 7" and now weigh 185 lbs (48 years old). Thanks...

Implants aren't always the only choice

+1

Your current BMI is 29.  Your BMI at 165 lbs would be 25.6.  You would still be in the overweight category.  However, you would change from the upper to the lower overweight.  Overweight patients benefit more from breast lifting than from breast augmentation.  Usually they have enough volume and lifting improves their appearance more than implants.  There is a new technique that transfers breast weight to the underlying pectoral major muscle while lifting your breast tissue.  This is done without a vertical scar and gives a more youthful and perky appearance.  Without photographs, I cannot say for sure which would be best for you.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and weight loss

+1

If you plan on losing another 20 lbs, I would wait until you have completed doing so.  The breast shape may change and you may need different implants or even a lift.

Go for a consultation

+1

There is no reason to wait before you see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your breasts. They will know what to offer you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast Augmentation and Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle.

Generally, it is best to wait until you have reached your long-term stable weight prior to having breast surgery. You may find that with weight loss the breast undergoes changes such as decrease in size and/or change in position ( “sagging”) on the chest wall.

By waiting to have the breast surgery,  you will be minimizing the chances that further surgery (related to weight loss changes)  will be necessary later.

Make sure you seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons;  accurate diagnosis (for example breast hypoplasia and/or breast ptosis) is necessary to  determine a good treatment plan.  Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work for patients with similar starting points.

Best wishes for continued success.