​I have been considering fillers on my face, will I still be able to do my facial massage after?

I have been into doing a 10 minute facial massage three nights a week. I have been considering fillers in my face (I believe it's the labial fold area). Will I still be able to do my massage or will the ruin the filler?

I have been considering fillers on my face, will I still be able to do my massage after? 

Fillers and massage

+1
You should be very gentle with your skin after having fillers.  I advise patients to not massage their skin, have a facial, microdermabrasion or laser treatment for the first 2 weeks after having their fillers.

Toronto Dermatologist

Fillers and massage

+1
I would leave the massage of filler to your surgeon. If you were to massage the filler after injection while it was still moldable, it may achieve a result different than what was intended by the person who placed the filler. Facial massage should be ok after a week or two, without too much concern.

William Lambeth, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+1
Its best to not manipulate the area that was treated for the first week, it should be okay massaging the face after the product has settled 

Massaging after a facial filler

+1
Sculptra is the only facial filler where massaging is recommended after the injections. For that reason you may want to consider Sculptra to treat your nasolabial folds (for which it can be quite effective when properly injected). Then you can continue your massaging after the treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

I have been considering fillers on my face, will I still be able to do my facial massage after?

+1
I would advise against any facial massage for 2 weeks after your treatment with filler. If this guideline is not followed there is risk of moving the product. I would recommend choosing a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist to perform your procedure. Each is a fantastic choice. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck .

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Facial Fillers and Massage

+1
Facial Fillers are a wonderful way to help rejuvenate the face, especially in the nasolabial area.  I would avoid facial massage for approximately one week after the filler injections and then you can resume your massages.  Please find an experienced dermatologist for the facial fillers for the best cosmetic result.

Michele S. Green, MD

I have been considering fillers on my face, will I still be able to do my facial massage after

+1
Once you inject fillers to your face, you want them to stay where they were meant to stay. Massaging will disperse them and may cause some bleeding into the area. Both of which are undesirable.
I would recommend that you do not massage the area for about 2 weeks after filler injection. Thats what I tell my patients when they ask about facials/facial massage after fillers

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Facials after fillers

+1
In my opinion, patients who are new to fillers are better getting hyaluronic acid fillers. Just in case you don't like it, it can be removed this way. Other fillers like Radiesse and Sculptra cannot be removed and go away in time, so for newbies, this is not usually my recommendation. Second, I ask patients to avoid aggressively touching or massaging an area injected with hyaluronic acid for at least a few days after injection. You can move the filler around, or you can cause worse swelling, if you undergo facial massage too soon after.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

+1
For the  vast majority of fillers I usually do a little massage of the area to smooth out the filler but then ask my patients not to have any facials, massages, etc for 2 weeks after to avoid moving the product to a place we don't want it.  Certainly massages could also potentially cause faster breakdown of the product if you are massage right over the area injected. The one exception is with Sculptra where massage is performed 5 times per day for 5 days after injection to help smooth the product and avoid lump formation.  Good luck1

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the filler.

+1
There are different types of fillers, which can do wonders to improve facial shape.  For Sculptra, we recommend massaging the areas that are injected.  For hyaluronic acid, it is best not to massage.  More importantly, these products are great only when used properly, and unfortunately there are a lot of doctors who offer facial fillers without knowing how to analyze a face properly. Therefore, I see a lot of people, who look swollen or strange because of over injection of filler or injecting a filler in the wrong places. While you may want a filler in the nasolabial fold (frown lines), instead you may need filler augmentation of the cheeks or both cheeks and nasolabial fold.  What to inject where, and how much to inject are both important, and this is why injecting with fillers is very tricky.  You have to ask yourself, why do people with money look funny?  So, be careful which doctor you choose.  You may want to choose a board certified plastic surgeon, like myself, over dermatologists, ENT, ophthalmologists, dentists, OB/gyn doctors who promote themselves as cosmetic surgeons.  Good luck!

Tae Ho Kim, MD