How painful are Botox injections for treating migraines?

I am worried about the number of injections and the associated pain from getting botox injected for reducing my migraine experiences

Botox for migraines in Los Angeles

+1

Botox injections in my clinic are performed with tiny needles and are tolerable. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Botox injections for migraines

+1

Botox injections are typically not very painful for the majority of patients.  Certain patient's trigger points that need to be injected for their migraines might be different than other patients and some insertions sites might be somewhat more uncomfortable.  Using a very thin needle and gentle delivery, the injections should not be bad.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox works for migranes

+1

Botox at the trigger site for migraines is not very painful and can be a great help for the problem.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for migraines has been an effective therapy

+1

There is minimal discomfort from Botox injections and just a quick localized discomfort.  A topical numbing medicine can be applied to the area one hour before the injection.  Migraines, however, can cause debilitating pain that can last for days.  Botox has been shown to be quite effective at preventing migraines.

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox for Migraines

+1

The pain associated with any injection is small but not zero. There are always some injection site punctures that are sensitive (eg the forehead). However, the pain associated with migraines is worse and for many of my patients, including those that get botulinum toxins for cosmetic reasons but discovered that there migraines improved, they readily endure the transient discomfort. Several patients call the office as soon as the pain from the migraines return and we typically have to fit them in that day to alleviate their pain. From what I have observed, it is a tradeoff that many people are glad to make.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX® treatment for migraine is customized for each individual

+1

In my practice, BOTOX® treatment for migraine is customized for each individual, depending on the nature and extent of their migraine or other headache pain.

Quite a few headache patients also have associated bruxism and/or TMJ pain, so that is also treated when necessary.

So, the total number of injections and the total amount of BOTOX® used will depend on the particular circumstances of each patient.

Having said that, most of my migraine patients get about 150 units of BOTOX® per session, but the total dose can range from 30 units to about 270 units, depending on what the individual needs.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Effective For Treating Migraines

+1

When it comes to treating migraines with Botox, a majority of patients get very good results.  It is not perfect, and a patient needs to be able to pinpoint the area where the migraines usually originate from.  If they can, then the Botox can temporarily eliminate the spasm around the nerve which leads to the migraines.  The injections are just little needle pricks and generally require 3-5 needle sticks.  The pain is minimal and the effects take about 3-4 days to really kick in.  When they do, there is usually a 75% decrease in the number of migraines.  The only downside is that it only lasts 3-4 months on average.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon