Intense Itchy Areola After 2 Years?

I had surgery 2 years ago and got hypertrophic scarring around the areola but what concerns me more at this point is the intense itching around the areolas. What can I do?

Itchy areolas not typical and requires in person consultation with surgeon

+1

This is not common.  I would ask your surgeon what sutures were used.  Sometimes with the doughnut mastopexy or the Benelli mastopexy, a permanent suture is placed around the areola. 

It is possible that you are having an allergic reaction to this suture material.  I would ask your surgeon if any sutures could be remaining in your breast 2 years after the surgery.  Some of the sutures we used in the doughnut or Benelli mastopexy last a lifetime.

Another possible cause of itchy areolas may be scarring around the nerve.  This may require surgical exploration to free up scar around the breast nerve.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Web reference: http://breastcapsulectomy.com/

Itching Areola

+1

You may be a candidate for scar revision.  Usually, the surgeon can excise the scar and monitor the healing, and sometimes steriod injections are required.  Be sure to keep the scar out of the sun, as that retards healing.  Discuss this  option with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).

Itchy NAC

+1

This is most likely due to the hypertrophic scarring.  You should see your surgeon to discuss treatment options.  Steroid injections work well, but have risks/side-effects that you should discuss with your surgeon.  

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Intense Itchy Areola

+1

The itching is very likely related to the hypertrophic scarring. My advice is to see your surgeon, There are a number of possible remedies that can be discussed including scar creams, steroid injections, laser treatment, and surgical scar revision.

Thanks for your question and best wishes.