Concerned of Having an Intense Inflammatory Response to Restylane, How Can I Verify Before Injecting?

I have dark eye circles under my eyes. I want to fill this with Restylane. But i am afriad to do this becaue i am allergic to many products(creams,sun, medication and also some food). Is it possible to inject a little bit of Restylane first on other part of my body before i use it under my eyes? I am afriad for intense inflammatory response to Restylane.If this is possible then i like to know which part of the body i can inject this? Thank you.

Restylane under the Eyes

+3

Restylane is an excellent filler for under the eyes.  The most common side effect, not allergic effect, of injecting in this area is bruising and swelling, both of which can last for a week or more.  We don't normally do skin tests for allergic reactions to Restylane as these reactions are virtually non-existent.  However, if it will make you feel more comfortable, ask your injector to put a small amout of material somewhere else like your inner arm and see what happens.  BUT......just because you didn't get red or swollen or bruised in one area does not mean you will not get bruising and swelling under your eyes.  The tissue is very delicate in this area.

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Adverse Restylane Events

+2

It is not recommended to perform a patch test with Restylane, as allergy is incredibly rare.  That being said, it will certainly not hurt to do so.  Swelling and bruising to the injection site is not an allergy  and very common. This generally lasts a few days, and can be minimized by icing and decreasing anti-coagulant medication.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane and Juvederm allergy is very rare

+2

Restylane and juvederm very rarely cause allergies. In the old days (not that long ago), doctors needed to do a skin test to make sure you were not allergic to a filler agent. It's totally not necessary to do that with hyaluronic acid fillers.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Restylane and risks of allergic reaction

+2

Although the risks of an allergic reaction to a Restylane injection is very low, if you are concerned that you are at higher risk of an allergic reaction, you can have a small test dose of Restylane injected in an area that is not as visible as your eyelids.  An option for a test injection site would be behind the ears.  Best of luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Allergies to Restylane

+2

Allergies to Restylane are very, very uncommon, but you can have a skin test if you are very nervous. However, skin testing does not necessarily mean you won't bruise or swell, but those are NOT a sign that you are having an allergic reaction. In my years of injecting Restylane, and I've injected probably close to 75,000 syringes, I have had no allergies. Not one.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Restylane and allergy

+2

Restylane allergies are extremely rare and that is why pre-testing is not suggested. Certainly if you are concerned your doctor may skin test you.

Allergy testing with Restylane

+2

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid product and has no organ or species specificity. In theory there is no risk of an allergic reaction. Therefore, skin testing is not necessary before injecting hyaluronic acid. In fact, in spite of its frequent use for cosmetic purposes, there are very few reports of hypersensitivity reactions. The typical side effects associated with hyaluronic acid injections such as Restylane or Juvederm include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon