Crooked Nose Caused by Sever Deviated Septum: Will Insurance Cover Surgery?

i am very insecure and want to live my life to the fullest but feel so insecure to leave the house. i have had trouble breathing since a child and my nose is visible crooked due to my deviated septum HELP!

Deviated Septum with Breathing Difficulties. Insurance Coverage?

+1

Sorry to hear about your situation.  Our office has found that insurance companies are very different in their coverage.  While most will cover deviated septum with documented breathing difficulty, one usually needs pre-authorization for treatment.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist, (ENT).  They should be able to guide you through the process.

Septal deviation, crooked nose, insurance coverage, and rhinoplasty

+1

The repair of septal deviation (septoplasty) is considered a functional or necessary surgery by most insurance companies, but each will be different; often this surgery can be pre-authorized by the insurance company so that you would know ahead of time what they would or would not cover. When the nose is also crooked, some insurance companies will also cover the straightening of the nose as a reduction of an old nasal fracture; but some insurance companies would regard the straightening as a rhinoplasty and would not reimburse you for that expense. What, however, is worrisome to me is the insecurity you express in leaving your house because of your nose. This much concern over your nose means that you are letting it play too strong an influence in your life. I would recommend that you seek counseling first before surgery so that you can go on with your life without so much concern over your nose. Surgery may not change your nasal concerns and your desire not to go out.

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of the Crooked Nose

+1

Septal Deviation can cause a number of nasal complaints, both aesthetic and functional.  The aesthetic component you refer to, "the crooked nose", can be corrected with cosmetic rhinoplasty.  The functional component, the nasal obstruction, can be corrected with Septoplasty.  Realize that careful external and internal nasal evaluation is necessary prior to moving forward, as there are many problems which can cause the above complaints.  The functional complaints usually can be corrected with insurance, although this is by no way a guarantee.  I suggest you follow up with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon for an evaluation... Good Luck... Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septal deviation

+1

If you have nasal airway obstruction your insurance will cover the surgery to treat this. If a crooked septum is causing the problem then septoplasty surgery will be covered. If you are not leaving the house because your nose is crooked you will need counselling prior to and after surgery. Surgery without the counselling will not solve all of your issues.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD