Will insurance pay for a tummy tuck if mesh in lower abdomen is causing pain?

just had surgery 1/27/14 for removal of mesh that caused a bowel obstruction, removal of adhesions and removal from mesh that broke apart from a fall in 2011. The surgeon refused to remove the mesh from my lower abdomen causing excruciating pain. Also from the fall I developed a severe case of bursitis in my left hip and can't go to physical therapy unless the mesh is removed or the pouch in my lower part of my stomach, which is causing the pain.

+1
Insurance will NOT cover a tummy tuck.  If you have pain in the lower abdomen that can be attributed to the mesh, that is a different diagnosis that may be covered.  However, the procedure indicated may involve exploration, mesh removal, etc.  It still will not cover the many components of a tummy tuck... i.e. muscle plication, umbilical transposition, liposuction....  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck paid by insurance

+1
Insurance today will not pay for a tummy tuck. 
The operation is often specifically excluded from insurance policies.
You need to discuss with your surgeon why the mesh in the lower abdomen was not removed.
If it is causing physical problems and impairment, insurance should cover that surgery - although there are great variations between policies. Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

+1
The tummy tuck has no medical indications and is not necessary for your health, therefor there is not usually any insurance coverage. The mesh can be removed without a TT and the insurance would probably cover that.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Insurance and tummy tucks

+1
Insurance will usually not cover the cost of a tummy tuck, but they would probably cover the cost of removal of the mesh if it is causing pain. If you are having problems with skin rashes or irritation of the skin because of skin hanging over the beltline, you might be a candidate for a panniculectomy which is sometimes covered by insurance in special cases. The panniculectomy procedure does not include the tightening of the abdominal wall and relocation of the belly button which is typically done with a tummy tuck surgery.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon