Will Insurance Pay for Tummy Tuck After a Bad Hysterectomy?

when they sewed me up, I was lopsided. then I got mersa, and they had to go back in to remove infection. I had the vac and had to heal from the open wound 6inches long. I have pain and numbness from the surgery 2 years ago. The surgeon that did the surgery said I deffinantly needed a tummy tuck to correct this. But I don't understand why I have to pay for his mess up. Anyway, will my insurance cover this ? Not only is it numb and painful still, it looks horriable and I cannot wear clothes more.

Insurance will pay for a tummy tuck (sometimes) if there is a functional issue.

+1

It's very difficult, at least in Georgia, to get insurance to pay for an abdominoplasty.  Occasionally if there are chronic skin problems from redundant skin, insurance will foot the bill.  However, this is uncommon.

+1

Crystal--

Thanks for the question. I am sorry for all you have had to go through. Infections do occur after surgery, and usually they are not anyone's fault. 

As far as insurance coverage, all you can do is ask. The way to ask is to go through the "pre-authorization" process, which means seeing a plastic surgeon who is willing to undertake this, and having that surgeon call and/or write the insurer with the surgical plan, the reason for the plan, and usually send photos. The insurer will decide if there is "medical necessity."

Many, or most insurers are likely to consider this cosmetic, regardless of what you or your surgeon think.  The pain will not necessarily improve after surgery, the numbness will not get better, and there will actually be more numbness. 

Best of luck to you.