Will Insurance Pay for a Lipo Since I Have a Femoral Hernia?

I have a very fat tummy that flaps over and fat around my waist and under my waist line.

Insurance coverage for liposuction

+2

No they will not pay for liposuction unless you can prove that it is necessary to allow for hernia repair or prevention of hernia recurrence. Good luck trying to prove that.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Fat Tummy and Liposuction

+1

Although the increased weight may play a role in the hernia, weight loss would be appropriate.  Insurance will not pay for liposuction in this case.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction and Insurance Coverage

+1

Thank you for your question. Talk to your primary care doctor first for a recommendation about insurance coverage.  Obesity is one of the factors that contribute to the development of femoral hernia. It is increasingly challenging however for the insurance to pay for these procedures.  Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in body contouring for the best and safest results.  I hope

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Insurance and liopsuctiom

+1

For insurance to pay for a procedure there has to be a definable medical necessity. That is the procedure has to have been proven to help improve the symptom. With most insurance companies as soon as liposuction is mentioned, the procedure is denied as cosmetic.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and insurance coverage

+1

Although your health insurance will probable pay for the hernia repair, they will consider liposuction a cosmetic procedure and will not pay for this.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage for lipo?

+1

Liposuction is not a covered procedure.  You will have to pay for this cosmetic procedure. Good luck.

Ask your insurance company about insurance.

+1

Because liposuction in this situation most certainly would not be a component of the hernia repair, it is very unlikely that your insurance company would pay.  Your best bet is to ask your insurance company these questions and send along a letter from the surgeon performing your hernia repair justifying the liposuction as a part of the hernia repair.

If your need liposuction, you should talk to a member of the Utah Plastic Surgery Society. See below.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon