Will insurance cover reconstructive surgery for injury from an elective procedure?

I had zygoma arch reduction a few years ago and I have had persistent tenderness on one side of my face and pain when I laugh for a while or smile too wide. I was told that this was possibly a result of nonunion or the pushed in bone impinging on the temporalis muscle. Would insurance cover treatment for this including CT scans and consultations? Thank you.

+1

Most often, insurance companies will not consider this to be a covered benefit. Their reasoning, which is sound, is that the issue developed after a procedure that wasn't medically required. You might consider bringing your concerns to your original surgeon to see what they propose with regard to cost and payment. They might be able to provide help. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon