19 yr-old, 5'4", 125 lbs, 32G considering breast reduction. Will it be covered by insurance?

I am 19, 5'4", 125 pounds, wear a 32G and am considering breast reduction. My neck and shoulders are always tight, my posture is bad, I have indents in my shoulders from my bra straps, and have terrible self confidence because of it. I also have trouble finding clothes that fit. Do you think my breast reduction could be covered by insurance?

Breast Reduction and Insurance Coverage?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about  the problems your breasts have caused, starting at an early age. Based on your description you may be an excelent candidate for breast reduction surgery.

Unfortunately,  online consultants will not be able to definitively state whether  any specific “insurance” will cover your  procedure. You will need to consult with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area and check with your insurance company regarding your specific policy.
  Undoubtably there will be some some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
 This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.  

Good luck with your  goals;  breast reduction surgery tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Insurance Coverage?

+1

Every insurance plan has their own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction. More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit. If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage. Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight). Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes. The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option. Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast reduction coverage

+1
Based on your numbers, you would be a candidate for breast reduction surgery. However, check with your insurance company (many have online sites with detailed information, by procedure) as to whether and how much documented conservative management, including physical therapy, chiropractic, pain medication, etc., would be required to support your request for coverage.

Robert L. Kraft, MD