Does Insurance Cover Hypertrophic Scar Removal?

I have 7 hypertrophic scars on my arm. They're almost a year old. They constantly itch, no matter what type of cream I put on it. They itch to the point of where I can't stop scratching, and the skin over them gets scraped off, and I start bleeding. This happens so often, that the scabs don't even get a chance to heal. So basically multiple times each day. I've also tried using multiple types of creams prescribed by my doctor, which didn't help at all. Would scar removal be covered by insurance?

Insurance

+1

These hypertrophic scars can be helped with excision and/or steroid injections. Most insurance plans provide coverage for this care

Insurance coverage for the treatment of hypertrophic scars?

+1

Insurance plans vary widely so you will need to find out if your particular plan may cover the treatment of hypertrophic scars. The most common treatments are surgical excision and/or steroid injections. There are also ancillary treatments as well.

You should consult with a board certified plastic to obtain further information including what the best approach(es) may be for you . He/she can then also determine whether you can get approved for treatment.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Insurance Coverage for Hypertrophic Scars?

+1

Hi Kandy.  If insurance does cover the treatments, I would guess it would be under a code for steroid injections.  Often keloid or hypertrophic scars can itch.  This indicates they are growing or changing and you should look for a practice that can do Kenalog injections.  Whether or not you get coverage you should try to have the injections as they will help a lot.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Does insurance cover hypertrophic scar removal?

+1

Removal of hypertrophic scars may or may not be covered by medical insurance.  You or your potential surgeon would need to contact your particular insurer to find out if they would deem it a medical expense or not.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon