Do Most Insurance Carriers Cover the Cost of Mammograms if I Have Breast Implants?

My insurance approves screening for routine mammograms at no additional cost, but I'm concerned that I will have to pay each year to have the 8-view/specialized mammogram if I get breast implants.

Mammograms and insurance

+1

I believe that screeening mammography is still being covered by insurance companies as a necessary test.

Breast implants and insurance coverage.

+1

It appears that insurance carriers are increasingly considering this a non-covered procedure and that is very distrubing. They have and will seek all methods to deny coverage and save money rather than look at the overall care of the patient. Some carriers will even exclude any breast surgery based on a prior history of implants.

Insurance Coverage and Mammograms

+1

I have not heard of patients having to pay extra for mammography because of breast implants.  It depends on your individual plan, however.

Let us know what you find out.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.