Should I Insist on Better Pain Management for Second Surgery?

I am 50 years old with a 100 pound weight loss. This past July I underwent an extended brachioplasty, together with a extended mastopexy with implants. The pain was so intense for the first 2 weeks diminishing very slightly and slowly the 10 weeks to follow. Since I am a glutton for punishment I am still considering a 360 in a few months. I have a very pleasant and talented surgeon, however I feel that he allowed me to suffer with too much pain, I am scared for the 2nd surgery, what should I do?

Better Pain Management

+2

I assume a "360" is a circumferential body lift--a tummy tuck carried all the way around.

A pre-op discussion with your surgeon is in order. Your course from the aug/lift/brachioplasty is out of the ordinary, and would lead be to expect the same next time. 

Some options include the use of long acting local anesthetics (bupivicaine, lasting up to 3 days in the long acting formulation) or refillable pain pumps which provide local anesthetic dosing into the surgical fields, and can be refilled to last longer than just a couple of days.

A consult with a pain specialist might also be helpful in choosing longer acting oral medicines. These are not without hazards, and most plastic surgeons will not be familiar with safe usage (myself included). 

Instructive question, thank you, and best wishes. 

Pain and surgery

+1

Interesting, because usually a brachioplasty and mastopexy do not cause severe pain.  A circumferential abdominoplasty is usually a bit more uncomfortable and if perhaps you have a lower tolerance for pain, then I suggest that you discuss this with your doctor.  You should not be in that much pain to make it unbearable. Good luck.

Pain control for a body lift

+1

There is no need for you to be a stoic.  Talk to your plastic surgeon about your concerns.   There are many great pain control techniques that make the recovery much more manageable.  If you don't feel that your plastic surgeon is receptive to your concerns, perhaps explore the option of seeking a consultation with a pain specialist.  I'm sure your PS will have some referrals for you.  Best wishes.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Pain management question.

+1

Yes, I think you should talk to your surgeon about pain management. It's very important and I'm sure they would appreciate the feedback, anyway. Consider that with a body lift you should probably stay at the facility 24 or 48 hours - nursing care and pain management is critical. Good luck, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD