Inside of Nose Doesnt Seem to Be Healing?

I am 3.5 weeks post-op open rhinoplasty where my hump was shaved down and tip reduced. Surgeon also corrected slightly crooked septum. I have a concern; I have a flesh colored "pimple" type bump right inside the columella on the pink skin area. It started off looking like a blister and now has turned into more of a solid callus texture. Surgeons office told me to just continue to put vasaline on it. I'm worried this "callus" is going to turn into something permenant. ?

You might have a suture pushing its way out

+1

Thank you for the question.  It sounds like you may have a suture pushing its way out.  Since your plastic surgeon has seen you and has recommended  a treatment I would stick with that.  You could always ask him/her to verify if there is a suture underneath that needs removal or cleaning.

Dr. Remus Repta

Internal Healing

+1

Often times the naterial will extrude from the nose for up to a month after a rhinoplasty because of fluid build up in the nose. It will come out through these incisions or slowly heaing tissue in the mucisal of the nose. If one area does not heal after a month there may be some granulation tissue developing and simply a cauterization of this material will allow it to heal. Often times people get more drainage after a rhinoplasty because the nerves are stimulated and irritated and this prodcuces more fluid in the nose.

John S. Poser, MD

Slow Healing Inside The Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Isabell,

At 3.5 weeks post surgery, your swelling still exists and your final results are not fully established.

Without photographs and physical examination, it is difficult to assess your healing.

Encourage you to keep your surgeon in the the loop of your progress as it is important the growing bump you described be monitored closely.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1

You should go back for an evaluation by your Rhinoplasty Surgeon as only he/she knows what was done to your nose during the Rhinoplasty.