Why Are Insurance Companies Not Covering Latisse?

Have prescription for Latisse but my insurance co. Will not cover it. WHY? It's too expensive for me and my lashes are not growing by themselves.

Latisse

+2

A better question is, why should they? Most all Latisse users are doing it for cosmetic reasons. So, unless you have had a traumatic loss of eyebrows, I think you are out of luck.

Because it's for cosmetic purposes

+1
Generally speaking, insurance does not cover treatments or drugs that are used for cosmetic purposes.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Latisse

+1

latisse is a  cosmetic medicine unless  your eyelashes have fallen out from either chemotherapy or some other reason. you must provide information relative to a medical neccessity for you insurance to cover latisse. having dust get in your eyes or your eyes becoming irritated since your eyelashes have fallen our would be justification.

if you eyelashes have fallen out though im not sure latisse will make your eyelashes grow back.  latisse stimulates the growth of the hair follicle it wont improve them staying attached to your eyelid.

Timothy Mountcastle, MD
Ashburn General Surgeon

Latisse Covered by Insurance

+1

Thank you for your question.  Normally, insurance companies do not normally cover these products since they are "elective" to grow your eyelashes (not medically necessary).  IF you have a medical condition and your doctor thinks that you would benefit from Latisse, the doctor could make a request of the insurance company to see if they would cover this (but I haven't seen this done before). Sorry.

Insurance reimbursement for Latisse

+1

Sorry but it is very rare that an insurance company would cover a cosmetic treatment unless you had documentation from your physician that it served a great purpose than just longer lashes.  The good news is that the cost of Latisse is coming down.  You will find the best price when the doctor dispenses it from their office and offers promotional discounts to encourage other treatments such as Botox or Juvederm.  Also be aware that Allergan has a rebate program for Latisse and the other products.  Sign up for the Brilliant Distinction program on line and you can receive special offers and rebates through out the year. 

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance companies consider Latisse to be a cosmetic treatment. I agree.

+1

Insurance companies consider Latisse to be a cosmetic treatment.  I agree.  Some people genetically had short eyelashes and some have long eyelashes.  This is not a disease and rightfully insurance companies should not be paying for it.  If you want longer eyelashes, you will need to pay for it on your own.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse is Not Covered by Insurance

+1

Since Latisse is used entirely for cosmetic purposes, it is not covered by most insurance plans. By applying Latisse solution to the base of the eyelashes, within several months you should see them become longer, thicker, and darker. For your convenience, Latisse can be purchased on line from any state in the US with free shipping by going to TheWebDermatologist.com or by following the link below and filling out a short medical history form. You can also take advantage of a special promotion currently being offered by Allergan, the makers of Latisse, to get a $40 rebate with the purchase of each bottle. This will be sent to you with each bottle of Latisse that you order.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Latisse and insurance coverage

+1

Insurance companies pay for medically necessary procedures and prescriptions.  They do not pay to cover cosmetic procedures or medications to enhance appearance.  Asking why your insurance company refuses to cover the cost of your prescription is like asking why they do not cover the cost of your eyeliner or mascara, or any cosmetics that you apply to your face.  While it might be nice if they did, I am certain that these policies will not be changing any time soon.  On the other hand, most patients are very well satisfied with their Latisse.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Medical insurance is for "medically necessary" things, not eyelashes

+1

How can you think your insurance is supposed to cover Latisse?  As with all cosmetic treatments, if you want them it is your responsibility to earn the money to pay for them.  Nobody owes this to you for free.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Latisse and other cosmetics not covered by insurance

+1

As an aesthetic product, Latisse and other cosmetic products such as Botox or fillers are not covered by health insurers, who typically restrict their coverage to medically necessary items. Such products may occasionally be medically necessary, though. In the case of Latisse, it would depend on the cause of absent or shortened lashes as to its medical necessity. During those circumstances when (usually cosmetic) products are necessary for medical treatment, your physician can write a letter of medical necessity to advocate on your behalf. Ultimately, however, the coverage decision lies with the insurance company.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon