Inner Thigh Skin Elasticity

I'm 52, 5'8", around 130 lbs.  I have flabby thighs even though I run, bike and do some strength train.  I'm interested in Coolsculpting (have heard they are coming out with a thigh specific attachment), but one of my biggest fears is that will have really droopy skin afterwards. Since I am older, my skin is less elastic and I don't want then have a 'thigh tuck' done.  Any advice?

CoolSculpting for Inner Thighs

+2

CoolSculpting is not an ideal treatment for any area where there is all ready skin laxity. In my practice, we have used CoolSculpting in conjunction with laser skin tightening for upper arms. But, I would discourage CoolSculpting in an area with skin laxity

Web reference: http://whatisbodysculpting.com/index.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting can reduce fat but the skin may not retract on the inner thigh

+1

Off-label usage of coolsculpting for fat loss on the thigh may not cause skin sagging but if someone has lax skin then this might happen.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/zeltiq/index.html

Inner Thigh Skin Elasticity

+1

Coolsculpting will not improve your skin elasticity nor will it make it worse.  Coolsculpting does not affect this.  I would suggest that you visit with an experienced doctor to be examined to see if you are a good candidate for the Coolsculpting treatment.

Best Wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/cool-sculpting.htm

Coolsculpting and droopy skin

+1

It is true that Coolsculpting will not tighten skin. So, if your skin is already droopy and hanging, then Coolsculpting will not correct that. Conversely, it will not create droopy skin, typically skin contracts back after Coolsculpting although there are risks it will not and patient selection and understanding is important.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin elasticity following CoolSculpting

+1

Hello - thank you for your question regarding skin tone following CoolSculpting. From the information provided, it sounds like you may be a very good candidate for CoolSculpting of your thighs. It is a good question, since skin elasticity is an important factor in determining results following body contouring.  However, CoolSculpting freezes about 20-22% of the fat that is placed within the attachment.  It is difficult to tell without a personal consultation, but it would be unusual for someone who is in good shape like you are to be left with sagging skin following the procedure. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who can address your specific concerns about skin elasticity, regardless of whether they are the one who performs the procedure. SmartLipo Triplex might provide another good option for you as it tightens the skin as the fat is removed. Good luck to you. 

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Cool sculpting with droopy skin?

+1

It sounds like cool sculpting is a good option for you.  You are close to your ideal weight, sounds like in very good shape and have a problem area.  Cool sculpt in and of itself, does not cause droopy skin.  Will does not tighten skin either.  Skin normal retracts unless it is droopy to begin with.  Seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to give you a physical exam and recommendation on your best course of action would be ideal.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.