Is It Wise to Put in New Implants 2 Months After Removing the Big Ones Due to Complications?

I had 550 CCs saline under muscle, done2 years ago. i had a capsulectomy done 6 months after.THIS yr my left breast capsular contracture became SEVERE.Around June my left breast became oblong shaped.I was on antibiotics from my reg. doctor 2x in 2 months because i didnt think it was THAT serious but it kept getting red under my left breast& inflammed. 7/23 finally saw my surgeon & he immediately removed them: 7/25. Post Op 1 wk- he said i can get new SMALLER implants if i keep healing this well.

Smaller implants eliminate complications of large ones

+1

I would recommend you wait 6 months to undergo a revision.  You need the results of your culture taken at the time of your implant extraction on 7-25.  After 6 months, I would recommend a new technique called Implant Exchange with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Through the same incision, implants can be exchange.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall gives maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable long term, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D. 

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Is It Wise to Put in New Implants 2 Months After Removal of Implants Due to Complications?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced.  Timing to replace breast implants is a judgment call best made by your plastic surgeon who knows your situation precisely. Factors involved in the decision-making may include the presence or absence of the infectious process around the breast implants themselves ( versus a superficial process), the type of organisms involved,  the clinical response seen after the breast implants were removed, the “quality” of the breast skin ( in terms of resolution of inflammation/induration and pliability) etc.

Generally, if in doubt, best to be patient and avoid returning to the operating room too soon.

Breast implants

+1

If a attention has to have her implants removed because of infection, I like to wait at least 3 months prior to reinsertion.  Since you had capsules previously, this may affect exactly what needs to be done in your case to try to prevent recurrence.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Infection and breast re-implantation

+1

I think that in general, I have patients wait 3-4 months minimum before replaicng implants. You want the tissues to heal and be soft before going back in.

Time for reimplantation

+1

Typically, I wait about 3 months after removing implants for infection before placing new ones. this gives the body time to heal from the infection, and gives the tissue time to settle down. also, I agree with going with smaller implants. Good luck to you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon