1 Year post-pregnancy and I hate my scar: Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

It has been a year since I had my son and I hate hate hate my scar. Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck? I really hope so. What are all my options?

Tummy tuck to remove vertical scar

+2

Only a plastic surgeon who has personally examined you can make a definitive recommendation, but in general the idea with a full tummy tuck is to remove skin between the belly button and the pubic area - this would include where the scar is in the picture - and then pull the upper abdominal skin down to cover. This puts stretch on the skin for a tighter appearance. Paradoxically, if the upper abdominal skin is in good condition, it may not be able to stretch all the way down (this is one of the reasons why a personal exam is necessary.) On the other hand, a mini tummy tuck would not remove the scar that you have regardless of how "elite" the doctor's credentials are.

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

+2

Your appearance can certainly be improved and most or all of your vertical scar removed with a full or standard abdominoplasty. You will need an personal evaluation by a plastic surgeon to assess the true amount of laxity in your tissues to determine whether all of the scar can be removed.

Donald Griffin, MD

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

You would be a very good candidate for a short scar tummy tuck and liposuction to bring in the dimensions of your waist.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Removal of scar after Tummy Tuck

+2

Yes a tummy tuck would work for you.  In conjuction with plication, the vertical scar can be removed at the expense of a transverse scar in the lower abdomen.  Good luck.  Hope that helps!!!

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

From the photo, it looks like you are a good candidate for a TT. Ideally, there is enough excess skin from breastbone to navel to reach down to a low TT scar. This would get rid of the vertical c-section scar, and would tighten your abdominal muscles. 

If you are planning on more children, you may want to wait until your family is complete. 

All the best. 

Candidacy for abdominoplasty

+2

You are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck.  I wonder why the vertical scar?  You would trade the vertical for a horizontal but low scar that would be easy to hide in a two piece bathing suit.  Do not be talked into a mini tummy tuck.   You need a real tummy tuck to do the job.   If more kids are planned you may want to wait.  A real tummy tuck means removal of all skin up to belly button and liposuction of the abdomen and surrounding area.  Your muscles must be repaired back to the mid line.  You umbilicus would need to be relocated into a new home.     Be sure your  surgeon  is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.  There are many doctors that have little, if any, surgical training calling themselves plastic surgeons.  Be cautious.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Pregnancy

+1

Usually after pregnancy, there has been enough stretching of the skin and underlying muscle fascia along with muscle separation that a tummy tuck is the only way to truly correct the deformity. Some patients with an indented, overhanging C-section scar can benefit from a “mini tummy tuck” procedure, which can even be done under local anesthesia in the office. A mini tummy tuck can great improve the scar, but it does not address most of the other issues that occur as a result of pregnancy.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck question

+1

Looks like you have a borderline amount of skin for a full tummy tuck but an exam is needed. One has to have enough extra skin to cut out your vertical scar and leave you with a low scar from hip to hip on the lower abdominal area. The seated picture give me hope that it would be possible. A board certified plastic surgeon can help you and guide you. Good luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck? Or scar revision?

+1

You are quite fit and a tummy tuck will not remove the scar you have.  Opt instead for a scar revision and perhaps you could talk your surgeon into a little liposuction of any full areas around the scar.  Understand there are no guarantees with scar revision so your surgeon should have a good revision policy you can live with if you need additional work down the road.

I'm perplexed at how so many say a tummy tuck can be done.  If you seek one, I would suggest you get their warranty in writing that they will deliver what they say they will because I am doubtful your skin between your umbilicus and mons can be removed completely.  Make sure your surgeon understands your goals and can deliver on them.

Curtis Wong, MD