Injury to Breast Implant Valve

I had my saline aug surgery 2 years ago. Should I seek medical attention if I accidently injured my self during horseplay? My son some how flipped me over and I felt like a valve scratched the inner wall. This happened 2 days ago and going into my 3rd day soon. I still am having trouble taking a deep breath because the pain is aweful plus just general movement to when lying down is a challenge. It almost feels like he scraped an organ.. is that possible?

Injuries with saline implants

+2

I'm a bit surprised at the answers here so far. One of the advantages of the saline-filled implant is that you don't have to worry whether it's intact or not. If it were injured and failed it would deflate and it would be obvious. It wouldn't harm anything but the shell and valve of your implant are intact if the volume of the implant is still there. 

Implants or valves are not going to cause the type of symptoms you're describing and you don't need a plastic surgeon or even a surgeon. You need to be checked out in an urgent care or emergency room or at least a walk-in clinic and be examined and probably get a chest X-ray as you could have broken ribs or even a partially collapsed lung. The implant is not the issue or concern. Get checked for the injury to you. After it's determined that you are okay then deal with the implant. If it deflates now or in the future it still has a lifetime guarantee (from the two major US manufacturers) for replacement regardless of how it failed. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon for injury to breast.

+2

Since you are feeling discomort, you should schedule an appointment and have your surgeon make sure you didn't cause yourself any damage.  Good Luck.

Pain in breast at two years.

+2

It sounds like you shoudl get examined by your surgeon to make sure eveything is okay and you didn't hurt yourself or have a problem with the implants.

Pain 2 years after augmentation

+2

I would advice that you see a doctor as soon as you can. There are many possible causes to your pain and the easiest way to find out is to be examined.  It could be minor, but you do not want to miss something while believing it will go away on its own.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Pain after injury with Breast Implants

+2

Your pain sounds like a severely strained muscle or rib. You could even have a broken rib. Because you are having trouble breathing, you should see someone as soon as possible. This does not have to be your surgeon who did the augmentation, as it does not sound like a problem with the implant. If it is, you will be referred back to your surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Valve Injury

+2

I agree with Dr. Johnson in that it takes a significant force (think car accident) to traumatically rupture a breast implant. Also, dislodging or damaging the valve is an extremely rare situation. It is much more likely that you have a pulled/bruised muscle in your chest wall, which just requires time and rest to heal. If the uncertainty is too much to handle, or if your condition continues to persist, contact your plastic surgeon- a simple ultrasound can determine if your implant is damaged, and a simple chest x-ray can make sure that you don't have a broken rib. Hope you feel better.

Derek Lou, MD

Injury to Breast Implant Valve

+2

Best for your peace of mind to have an examination by a boarded PS in your area. Most likely you only injured some deep tissues that are inflamed. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Injury to breast implant valve possible but rare

+2
Saline implants have a valve that is sealed automatically in addition to a plug that is held in place with a tiny strap. Sometimes tissue grows under the strap and the implant then becomes attached there so it can become torn loose. I have seen a case or two of this but it is very difficult to diagnose unless it becomes serious enouph to operate. I would give it some time.

Richard Baxter, MD

Injury to Implant?

+2

If there is ever any question, you should go in to see your surgeon so he can completely check you out.  Given that they are saline implants, if they were damaged severely, you would probably know it as thye would leak, deflate and your breast would shrink in size.  It sounds like you are experiencing musculoskeletal pain and should resolve with antiinflammatories. 

Brian S. Glatt, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Saline breast implants are very durable

+2

It would take considerable force to cause a problem with your saline breast implant, and the valve has a smooth cover and will not scrape against tissues in the breast. Your chest and ribs may have been severely strained, and if you cannot take a deep breath or are short of breath see your physician immediately. A good examination will help sort out just how serious your injury is. Your implants will be fine.

peterejohnsonmd