What Injuries Are Possible with a Rectus Diastasis? Should I Go to the Doctor? What Should I Have Done?

I'm 4 months after birth and I have a 3 finger rectus diastasis. I just had a bad fall skiing and received whiplash and some bruising. About 2 days after the fall I had pain below my sternum and left side right under my ribcage, and 2 inches under my belly button. It hurts (deep inside) to have sex. Its a week later and still bothering me, should I be concerned?

Diastasis Recti and Symptoms?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your recent trauma. Your symptoms sound like they are related  to the skiing accident, not the presence of  the diastasis recti,  which tends to be asymptomatic.

Given your concerns, seek consultation with your family practitioner or urgent care physician.  Down the line, you may be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery.

Generally speaking, the  tummy tuck operation is a highly patient pleasing operation. It will serve to reapproximate the abdominal wall muscles that have spread with pregnancy and will remove the “excess skin” of the lower abdomen.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Pain Likely Secondary To Injury

+1

The pain you are experiencing is likely secondary to your ski injury.  Rectus diastasis typically does not cause pain or symptoms.  Correction of rectus diastasis requires an abdominoplasty for abdominal contour correction. This is a cosmetic procedure. All the best in your recovery.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Diasthasis and pain

+1

The pain you described is caused by something deeper in your abdomen than the muscles. You would need an abdominal exam and maybe X-rays or a CAT scan to see if you have any injuries from your accident. Diasthasis is a weakening of the tissue between the two six pack muscles on the abdomen. It is painless and should not cause significant problems at that size. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal rectus diastasis causes any pain only deformation/ la diastasis de rectos no produce dolor solo deformacion

+1

i think you should be rexaminated perhaps a thomography to discard any deep lesion i dont think at this time be something serious  but perhaps you would need some physical therapy medicine to improve everything.

pienso que deberias ser rexaminada  quiza con utrasonido o tomografia para descartar  alguna lesion profunda, que a estas  alturas no debe ser nada grave pero podrias requerir terapia  fisica con masajes y ultrasonido  saludos

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

What Injuries Are Possible with a Rectus Diastasis

+1

A rectus diastasis typically causes no symptoms. The pains you are describing are much likelier related to your injury. See your physician for evaluation.

All the best. 

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thank you for the question. The diastasis you refer to is a separation of your abdominal muscles and will weaken sit ups. It alone will likely not cause any harm. You can have it repaired with a tummy tuck..Dr Thomas Narsete Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Pain in abdomen after a fall

+1

If you are the least bit concerned you should be examined by an ER doctor, not by a plastic surgeon.  On its own, a rectus diastasis is harmless and poses you no risk.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS