I Had Injections of Sculptra and Radiesse Done for the Jowls and They Are Still There? (photo)

I had injections done of sculptra and the jowl or fat pads and the extra fat at the chin just under the jaw line are still there on the side of my mouth like folds of fat..drives me nutty. I am constantly having to be photographed with my work and need them gone now! what else can I do? I realize I look great for my age I have always taken care of myself and this plastic surgery and injections are new to me. I dont want to continue to waste money

Treatment options

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to discuss your treatment options.  

Several options - from least to most

+1

Slight jowls can be camouflaged by injecting a filler such as Radiesse.just in front of the jowl, to blunt the visibility of the angle. This is fast, fairly cheap, and lasts up to a year.

Radiofrequency devices do exist that can produce a small amount of skin tightening there.

Bigger jowls generally need a bigger solution.- generally a lift. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra & Radiesse for volume

+1

Injections of Sculptra & Radiesse are helpful if someone needs volume or lift. Alternatives to facial injections, if you have good volume, are facelift surgery, neck surgery & Ultherapy. Ultherapy, if you have good volume, is a noninvasive, minimally downtime procedure which allows for tightening and may help with jowls. The important thing to remember when treating jowls with Sculptra and Radiesse is to do it in such a way that it creates lifting and does not make the jowls worse. But Sculptra and Radiesse are not the same thing as a facelift.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best treatments for jowls

+1

In general, Sculptra stimulates the production on new collagen.  It may help camouflage the jowls. But to effectively eliminate the appearance of jowls, a midfacelift, facelift, or liposuction are good options.  I would recommend an in-person consultation with a facial plastic surgeon, as he/she will be able to assess your needs and discuss the best treatments that will produce the most effective result for you. Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-Surgical Facelift with Exilis Improves Jowls

+1

Although a facelift or mini-facelift is your most effective option, Exilis radio-frequency is a safe and effective non-surgical skin tightening alternative that we use for those patients desiring a non-surgical alternative to a facelift.  Initially, Exilis requires 4 - 6 treatments followed by periodic maintenance treatments.

Robert Strimling, MD

Fillers for Jowls

+1

Sorry for you. Was the person who treated you qualified to do facelifts or only injections? You know how the world can look like a nail when you have a hammer.

Personally, I have never injected a jowl. Similarly, I dont inject big noses to supposedly make them look better.

The best thing you can do is find an experienced plastic surgeon who can correct your jowls in a minifacelift procedure.

Good luck

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

I Had Injections of Sculptra and Radiesse Done for the Jowls and They Are Still There?

+1

Fillers like Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra can be used to fill in and soften the Marrionette Lines that are directly in front of the jowls however, this will not reduce the jowls.  Reducing the Jowls is the primary funcrtion of a Face Lift.

Are Sculptra or Fillers a waste of money?

+1

The questions and concerns you have are quite common.  For some people, minor folds around the mouth (JOWLS) can be treated or softened with Sculptra or some fillers.  These treatments, though effective, are not a surgical answer and therefore do not always have dramatic or lasting results.

A modern surgical facelift improves both skin laxity and volume loss. Both of these issues contribute to jowls. Sugery helps tighten the skin and additional treatments utilized to improve volume. These treatments can include Sculptra, filler and even fat grafting.

Injections should never be considered a waste of money when they are injected as part of a multistep facial rejuvenation treatment.

I hope this is helpful.

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS

+1

Read each of the previous expert posters responses, especially Dr Aldea's. I'm going to be more direct. You were either sold on the fillers for excess skin and full jowls, sub mental areas or you decided that a filler would best alleviate your issues. Wrong either way. You need a face/neck lift of some type, period. 

Review of your photo shows that you have developed a "boxey" face.

+1

The combination of weight gain and loss of cheek support due to aging results in an appearance like that your photo shows.

The effective solution for this is:

• A lift which includes a upward component
  • Removal of fat along the jawline to create a more angular jaw

A mini-lift or liposuction alone does not give muchhelp

Fillers do not help because you need lift and shaping.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon