Would injections for a wide Asian nose be ideal?

There is a bump on my nose but it's because my nose goes down where the cartilage is so would I be able to build it up? And I heard that you could use the injections to change nostril shape is that true? I doubt it, but I just wanted to be sure! Thanks!:)

Non-surgical rhinoplasty will probably be appropriate for your nostrils and also possibly to correct the profile.

+1
Dear Vanessa D:

Asian patients often have noses that look wide, but when the nose is flat with a low bridge, filling the bridge and raising the profile often makes the nose look narrower.It is an optical illusion, but it works.

Regarding altering the nostril shape: that's one of the best applications for permanent fillers and you should definitely explore that possibility.

A non-surgical rhinoplasty all takes place in the doctor’s office in three to five short appointments separated by a wait of about six weeks between appointments.

Here's how it works:

Provided your nose woes are all on the outside, injection rhinoplasty involves a series of tiny injections that plump up or mask nasal flaws. For instance, injection rhinoplasty is indicated if you have on your nose:

• Grooves
  • Divots or shallow places
  • Humps or bumps on the bridge
  • Bends or twists
  • Asymmetrical nostrils
  • A flat tip
The nasal surgeon, ideally one who is a long-experienced, super-specialist in nasal surgery, injects tiny amounts – micro-droplets – of filler into low places under the skin to plump up those depressions and grooves.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Straightening the profile with a deep radix during nonsurgical Asian rhinoplasty

+1
When the area of your bridge between your eyes is low (deep radix) then sometimes this can create the appearance of a dorsal hump (or pseudohump) below it.  Filling in this area will straighten the profile and camouflage the hump.  

In terms of reshaping the nostrils with nonsurgical rhinoplasty - it will not reduce the width or flare of nostrils.  It may, in some cases, be used to lower the rim of the nostril.  For reducing the flare or width of the nostrils, alar base reduction/alar base modification is the most effective, permanent option.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty for Wide Asian Nose

+1
Dear Vanessa D~

Thank you for your question. Some photos would be helpful for a more specific answer. It sounds as if you are describing a depression along your nose on your profile view. Injections with nasal fillers such as Restylane are very helpful for building up the nasal bridge in this area. The result would be a straighter nose on profile view, and a more narrow appearing nose from the front view.

Since all the structures of the nose are related, injections in other parts of the nose may change the nostril shape some as a result of tension from these other areas. This change would be subtle, and usually I would not inject fillers for the specific purpose of changing the nostril shape.

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD