Injecting Radiesse Under the Muscle for Tear Troughs

I had Restylane injected in the tear troughs, under the muscle, but it did not last long (3 months). I am guessing it was because it was under the muscle rather than in the skin. Obviously, it would not be a good idea to inject Radiesse in the tear trough, but I am wondering if it is injected under the muscle also, would that "allow" enough to minimize any visual lumping? At least I would not have to do it so often as Radiesse lasts longer.

Injecting Radiesse in the Tear Troughs

+1

I routinely inject Radiesse in the tear troughs because it gives a nice lift in this area and a much more youthful appearance. Only small amounts are used to prevent lumps. It is always injected under the muscle for the best, most natural result. I agree that it will be much more likely to last longer than Restylane.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse under the muscle

+1

I agree with Dr. Lupo that the appropriate location for Radiesse in the tear trough area is under the muscle. Radiesse in the tear trough area can be laid down in uniform, thin strands. If the material is intentionally or inadvertently injected into the muscle, there is a high risk of producing lumpiness, but it does sound as though your Restylane injector has good technique.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Under the muscle is the right place

+1

In order to avoid lumping and a bluish color, Restylane was correctly injected under the obicularis oculi muscle. Some dermatologists and plastic surgeons do the exact same thing with Radiesse. If there is lumping, Restylane can be dissolved, but Radiesse cannot. If your doctor did a good job with Restylane, and you want to try the Radiesse for greater duration, then go for it.

Web reference: http://www.drmarylupo.com

New Orleans Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.