Does Injecting Juvederm in Just 4 Sites in Lips Create Fuller Lips?

I received one syringe of Juvederm Ultra PLus XC in my lips today. The DR. only injected 4 or 5 places and all my other Drs. have injected several places in my lips (8 or 10), smaller amounts. I think the method the Dr used today looks a lot better. Is this a common way to inject? I like it better or maybe it's just that he used Ultra Plus this time?

+2

When using filler injections for lip augmentation, the type of filler, the precise amount and where it's injected all will vary based on the exact size and shape of the lips.  There's no boiler plate template of this many injections and or that many injection sites.

Lip augmentation technique

+2

The number of injections is less important than the volume and distribution of product.  Simply using a longer needle allows infusion of identical volumes with fewer sites of entry.  Impossible to know the answer for your specific situation.  Perhaps you still have some product left over in your lips from previous treatments, so your lips are bigger after this most recent injection than they were after earlier treatments.  UltraPlus is a "thicker" product, and also may be the difference.  Depth and location of the filler also influences the result.  The aesthetic sense of the operator is important also.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lip filler

+2

Each injector injects filler product a bit differently. It does not matter how many injections were made, it is more important to get a good result.

Multiple different ways to inject the lips

+2

There are multiple different techniques in which to inject the lips with filler for augmentation.  Personally, I inject the lips with a microcannula, using only two entrance points at the corners of the mouth for my augmentation.  Patients seem to love this because it hurts less and there is less bruising.  Also, I tend to use more Juvederm Ultra than Ultra Plus for the lips because it is a smaller particle size with less crosslinking, allowing for a more subtle augmentation.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to create fuller lips with Juvederm

+2

When I am injecting lips with Juvederm (or any of the hyaluronic acid fillers) for treatment of volume only, I will typically inject three areas in the upper lip and two areas in the lower lip for a total of five injection sites. The Juvederm is then carefully massaged (by me) until it is properly distributed. There are five areas in the lips that normally have the most volume and this technique of lip augmentation, in my opinion, will create the most natural-looking effect. Juvederm Ultra Plus should look the same as Juvederm Ultra. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers for fuller lips

+1

There are different techniques for injecting lips with fillers to achieve fuller, luscious lips. What really matters is how much filler is put in. A common technique for lip augmentation is called "threading." This technique uses fewer puncuters and may minimize bruising and swelling.

Gary Goldenberg, MD

Number of injections is all based on technique

+1

It really depends on the technique that is used with fillers like juvederm, restylane, and perlane in the lips. Moving the filler around can help with the augmentation. I tend to do more injections then to massage the filler into areas that I need the augmentation and volumizing. Fillers are temporary in the lips but a more permanent form of augmentation is using silicone tubes in the lips like perma lip augmentation. Here is a video below for you to learn more about perma lip augmentation.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon