Is Swelling Following Perlane Injection in Nasolabial Folds Permanent?

I Just Got Injected with Perlane Around my Nasolabial Folds As Well As Under my Eyes.  But I got big a bruise and swelling under my left eye. Is the swelling permanent?

Perlane and Swelling

+1

It's expected you will have some swelling for a week or so, after injection(s) of Perlane. Bruising can happen, and could last up to 10 days. Swelling isn't permanent, but the volumization from the filler should last several months.

Swelling can be due to Perlane volume, a bruise or just swelling from the injection.

+1

Swelling from the injection or from a bruise will go down in a few days to a few weeks.  If too much product was injected, the swelling may persist and may need to be dispersed or dissolved.  Check back the the doctor who did your treatment if you are still concerned after a couple of weeks. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

No, the bruising and swelling associated with Perlane injection isn't permanent and should slowly subside over the next week or so.  IMHO, Perlane doesn't have much bruising or swelling associated with its use versus Radiesse, for instance, however anything injected into the thin lower eyelid area that's filled with vessels...is prone to cause bruising IMO.

Bruising and swelling after Perlane

+1

Bruising is a not uncommon reaction after fillers such as Perlane.  It can occur and although mininimizing trauma can make it less likely for the most part it is out of the hands of the treating physician.  Certain medications such as aspirin, Motrin, Naprosyn, several vitamins and nutritional supplements can make it more likely.  The good news is that swelling and bruising will resolve spontaneously.  I will sometimes apply a cold pack and mild pressure to the area immediately if it appears the patient is developing bruising and that can minimize it.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Swelling and bruising after Perlane

+1
If you have significant bruising, ask your doctor if they have a pulsed dye laser to treat the bruises. It can cut the time to resolution dramatically. Typically swelling abates within a week but the bruising, if not treated with a laser, can take two weeks or longer to resolve. Of course there are individual variations, but there will be no permanent swelling. Best to you.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

No not permanent.

+1

Having said that these bruises take time to resolve and create swelling.  The swelling contributes to the fullness you see.  How long does it take to resolve.  In some cases these bruises can take up to a month to completely settle.  Once this period of time has passed, the treatment should look much more acceptable.  If for some reason it is not every thing you want, hyaluronic acid fillers like Perlane and Restylane can be adjusted by your injecting physician with the enzyme hyaluronidase.