She injected .5 cm beneath the skin. Am I doomed to a lengthy recovery?

The board certified dermatologist injected Perlane in the most hideous way possible (turning my naturally smiley, pretty face to one that looks downturned, with a mess of what appear to be hypertrophic scars littering my face). I had an ultrasound done to measure the damage. She injected .5 cm below the skin. Will this location of product lengthen or shorten the duration to resorption? She injected well above my natural NLFs and then flung the rest of it about an inch around my mouth. Can't hyal

She injected 0.5 cc beneath the skin- am I doomed for a lengthy recovery?

+1
The injection technique for Perlane differs from other fillers because of its viscosity. If you don't like the result, the benefit is that hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve this hyaluronic acid filler.

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fully Reversible

+1
What I love about all hyaluronic acid fillers (including Perlane) is that they're fully reversible. If you're unhappy with its placement, ask your doctor to use hyaluronidase (i.e. Vitrase) to melt the product away.

This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Bobby Buka, MD

Bad Perlane injections

+1
I don't know why you would have hypertrophic scarring after fillers. Can you post photos? This makes no sense. What do you mean the Perlane was "flung about an inch around my mouth"? Do you mean injections were done into your marionette lines? Perlane is normally injected into the deep dermis or superficial subcutaneous layer, but it depends on what area is being injected as Perlane is used in many locations. The same depth normally wouldn't be used in all areas. So if your injections are .5cm which is 5mm, it's in the deeper dermis layers and superficial subcutaneous layer, which is the proper injection depths. If you don't like your results, you can remove the Perlane with hyaluronidase.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD