Are Injectables a Good Solution to a Weak Jaw Line?

I am a 25 year old male seeking a significantly wider, better defined jaw line. Would 2-3 injections of a filler like Radiesse be able to make much of a difference? I'm wondering if its even worth the cost to try injectables or if I will likely be better off saving for implants.

Jaw enhancement

+1

Fillers will be expensive, esp for that large of an area. You may want to try it out initially to see how it would look though and then save your money for the more permanent solution. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or implants for jaw definition

+1

Most Fillers can be used quite well to create definition for the jaw and chin, but the safe ones provide only a temporary improvement. Permanent fillers might migrate and there can be large lumps that form years later, such as with silicone injections. Implants can provide a permanent improvement but there are risks of nerve injury, shifting of the implant, infection and bone resorption. See an experienced plastic surgeon who can describe the treatment and discuss the risks and benefits with you and compare that to the temporary improvment that fillers can provide.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Facial contour enhancements with injectable fillers

+1

Injectable fillers, by themselves, may be a great way to enhance your skeletal structures for subtle changes requiring small volumes, but large volume changes will require you to consider surgical implants or bone rearrangements. 

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Jaw line definition

+1

You need to see a Board Certified Plastic surgeon and have a long conversation about the analysis of your face and jaw line. then discuss all options available then decide what and how you want to proceed

Radiesse can be used to sculpt the face as an alternative to implants

+1

You've asked a great question, with real insight into how newer injectables might be used. Radiesse can be used to sculpt the face by placing the filler deeply along the bony prominences rather than in the skin. Radiesse is preferred for this type of treatment over hyaluronic acids such as Juvederm or Restylane. Be sure you see an experienced injector for advanced techniques such at this one, though.

Cost effectiveness depends on how much of an enhancement you need or desire. Implants work great for better definition, and are cost effective over the long run. The amount of Radiesse needed will vary, and of course the cost will depend on how much is used. Without seeing photos, it's hard to guess, so see you physician for specifics.

You can also try the Radiesse as a "trial" for 1-2 years and be sure you like the new definition before committing to permanent implants if desired.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Options to define a jaw line

+1

Fillers can fill out and define a jawline quite effectively. The drawback is the effect is not permanent. I would suggest trying the fillers such as Radiesse to your jawline, and see if you like the look it creates. If you do, then discuss some permanent options such as chin and mandibular angle implants for a more permanent solution. Good luck and Best wishes.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon