Injectable Filler Migration: Any Solutions?

I have tried fat grafting and restylane to correct under eye hollows. In both cases, the results were great at first, but after a month or so the filler migrated downward. Is this a common problem? Are there any steps that can prevent filler migration? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Treatment of the tear trough

+2

Fat injections tend to coalesce into lumps as the eyelid muscles move. You could try small direct fat grafts placed surgically rather than injected via a needle. In my experience if these direct fat grafts are placed right on top of the bone rim under the eye they are deep to the muscle and not affected much by muscle movement.

Fillers and the tear trough

+1

I have never hear of migration of fillers with any significance.  Restylane is my preferred injectable along the tear trough if placed judiciously.

Diluted Radiesse tends to give a smoother result than the restylane/juvederm fillers for hollow eyes.

+1

Diluted Radiesse does nice for under eye hollows and is usually done in 3 sessions a few days to a week or 2 apart and doesn't shift.  Fat injections tend to shift and get bumpy and the hyaluronic acids like juvederm/restylane tend to get bumpy.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon